They're finally hatching/Stagmomantis floridensis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of mine, 60 hatched 43 one day - then 17 two days later. No cooling period for them.
Seems you got a larger hatchout then I did but then again my ooth was small. First molt to L5 today.

FINALLY!!! :lol: :D

4338149545_926209f3a9_m.jpg

4338892176_902554a058_m.jpg

There are 10 hatched today after a liberal soaking of the exterior of the ooth last night. This was the ooth kept inside since Yen sent it to me. The 'outside' ooth was given the same soaking, but is expected to be at least another month...based on Yen's data.

Thanks to all who posted what worked so far :) I think if I kept to only a light misting that maybe nothing would have happened!

Good news Kamakiri! Interesting how they more or less have hatched all at the same time. This species should be well into culture before long.

Day 2 = 8 more :)

Yeah, that is interesting how they're hatching at the same time even when kept under varying conditions. We probably will have these in general culture soon. At least I hope so.

Over the past couple of days 10 more appear to have hatched out = c.70 for the one hatched ooth! They don't seem super interested in eating though - i have seen them eat but definitely nothing like the gluttonous limbatas so far.

Over the past couple of days 10 more appear to have hatched out = c.70 for the one hatched ooth! They don't seem super interested in eating though - i have seen them eat but definitely nothing like the gluttonous limbatas so far.
Yeah the first day hatchlings have only eaten a half fly each until today where they appear to be eating a full melano each right now.

Day 3 = 6 more :)

So not much of a 'burst'

Rick, if you have any pics of them i would love to see how they look as larger nymphs :) My second ooth started hatching today - already 5 have emerged!
I should be able to take some for you today.

Thanks for the pic. Are everyone's the same color so far? All of my L1s look like Rick's in post #19.

2 more hatched on day 4 for me.

Thanks for the pic. Are everyone's the same color so far? All of my L1s look like Rick's in post #19.2 more hatched on day 4 for me.
Most of mine are that color. I do have a couple that are all green.

So far all hatchling look green when hatched, but few that turn L2 show light brownish color. None of mine reach L3 yet. As adult most are greenish with light yellow, but about 10-20% of the adult females found in the wild carry brownish wing color.

I just looked and my 2nd Stagmomantis Floridensis ooth from Yen Saw, which previously hatched out 5 nymphs 2 days ago is hatching out in one giant lump! The nymphs are crawling all over each other!!! Too bad my wife took her digital camera! It is pretty cool looking!

Latest posts