They're finally hatching/Stagmomantis floridensis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Rick... you've done well with this species! ;)
biggrin.gif

Yen, the ooth you sent me hatched out about 50 healthy nymphs today. I haven't been misting the ooth and kept it at room temperature.
Glad to know :) Maybe few more will continue to hatch for the next 2-3 days.
This is one of the ooths. The other pic is not very good through that plastic.
I was expecting to see more nymphs from the burst actually. How many hatch Rick?
So far. I have some what I believe to be subadult males now. At subadult they are about the size of adult S. carolina.
Female is about 1 cm longer from my dead specimen measurement.http://usamantis.com/12-18-09stagmomantis_floridensis.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture I posted was of the ooth that didn't hatch as many. It continues to hatch today. The other one hatched all at once.

Do you have any pics of them Rick? I'd love to see what the juveniles look like. :D
You want the newly hatched nymphs? Thought there was a pic in this thread but if not I can take one today. I will also take a pic of the large ones.

Both ooths continue to hatch.

Got my first L3s this week. Still nothing from my outdoor ooth.
:lol: :lol: Of course, once again, I have to type that nothing happened to *finally* get the burst hatch from the 'outdoor' ooth. Looks like they're all coming out. :lol: :D :blink:

Good news Kamakari.

I moved all nymphs from both new ooths to one net cage. I put the ooths in a cup just in case. Sure enough I looked in a few hours and there were 12 more nymphs in there.

Bad news though! My original batch are nearing adult. The bad news is that out of 9 mantids, 8 are male!

Here is one of my males. I think they may be subadult or subsub adult.

P3140389.jpg

I find these guys are very quick to play dead. A few of them drop down to the bottom and stay motionless for a couple minutes every time I mist them. They look funny when they land on their back and their legs are sticking straight up in the air.

One male has molted to adult. Took them almost exactly 3 months from hatching to adult I have a few more that are about to molt to adult. The male is quite a bit larger than a s. carolina.

My only female has molted to adult which leaves me relieved. I also have several adult males. I need to look up the other thread by Yen to see if he listed the length of the adults. Mine seem small.

Congrate on the adult Rick. I still have ootheca hatching as of today :blink:

The average size for female is about 74 mm while male is about 65 mm.

Congrate on the adult Rick. I still have ootheca hatching as of today :blink:

The average size for female is about 74 mm while male is about 65 mm.
Thanks Yen. I will do a check. I have one male that is subadult but he appears longer than the adult males. Can't wait for him to mature.

The other group I have in a net cage are growing FAST. They are L4 or so already.

From the wild collected adult specimen, sizes vary up to a cm. So you might get an extra large one from the group. Did you get a green or brown adult female?

From the wild collected adult specimen, sizes vary up to a cm. So you might get an extra large one from the group. Did you get a green or brown adult female?
I would say she is more or less brown.

Latest posts