This is going to sound ridiculous...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm understanding this story/thread properly, this is great! I've never heard of anyone fixing a raptorial mismolt (of what appears to be a significant femur issue) in the adult phase before.

Admittedly, my skepticism alarm is flaring (sorry! maybe he would've self-repaired?) but regardless, I applaud your creativity.

:clap: You did great but the numbers say 1 out of 15 or less will be so lucky, if I play with my money??? Great job never the less...

If I'm understanding this story/thread properly, this is great! I've never heard of anyone fixing a raptorial mismolt (of what appears to be a significant femur issue) in the adult phase before.

Admittedly, my skepticism alarm is flaring (sorry! maybe he would've self-repaired?) but regardless, I applaud your creativity.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding as well, because misalignments after a bad molt are usually the result of the carapace hardening in the wrong shape. No amount of effort can change the shape once hardened. This leads me to suspect it was instead a muscular issue.

He was on his second day after his molt and his rapier seemed like it was definitely going to stay in its awkward 90 degree angle before I did anything. I have been keeping their humidity a little on the high side (sooooo my bad) so maybe he hadn't fully hardened yet?

Also, I did not add the cast until I tried gently moving the rapier to the right position to see if it would stay or at least help it to harden in the right position. I wouldn't had done it if I hadn't felt that it would drastically increased his quality of life and I went into it fully expecting to have to leave the cast on for his whole life. The repair was not expected, but I wanted to see how it was about a week after the application (I didn't and am still hesitant to believe that they can heal like that...). I believe my baby was a wonderful fluke, lol

But it's been a few days since I removed the "cast" and it is still in the right position (well... almost. In my haste to fix his rapier so he could walk I accidentally set it a little too far out to the side so it's not right in front where it should be, instead it is sitting a little bit away from his body, but at least it is out of the way of his legs and the other rapier). Honestly it looks like... how do I explain this... it looks like his "elbow" (the soft part between the upper part of his rapier and the middle part) got twisted and was hardening. It still looks a little weird and puffed out at a slightly lumpy angle but it hasn't reverted. And also to clarify, he can groom both rapiers, his head, and his antenna but he still has problems grabbing his legs to bring them to his mouth. It takes him a few tries to figure out which leg he has grabbed on that side.

It is raptor, not rapier by the way. I am also curious as to what actually was repaired.

a couple days ago i almost smashed my female b. mendica with a lid and bent her arm backwards while doing so. i thought she was screwed, but i simply repositioned her arm back with a little push and she's fine now.

Latest posts