Victoria Bug Zoo

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say Hi to Carol (Owner) for me if you got a chance to meet her. Have fun!
Did not have a chance to meet her :( sorry.

Ok so i got back like one hour ago from victoria, all in all it was a ok trip. The boat ride there was very nice, but on our way back on the boat it was very wavey and i was feeling sick :( . I left saturday at 11 and did not feel like going to the bug zoo that day so i went sunday. I have not been to the bug zoo in almost two years and it feels so small now. Well being interested in mantids i went right away and spotted these beauties.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

So i watched those girls for a while then i got bored, and started to wander around and took a peak at the cockroaches. This is probably one of my favourite enclosures because it is like a doll house.

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Right next to that family are these guys.

IMG_0575.jpg

So i stopped taking photos for awhile and i found this guy and needed to take a photo, probably one of my favourite photos of the day

IMG_0576.jpg

Here is another spider.

IMG_0578.jpg

Found this cricket hanging around.

IMG_0581.jpg

Then went back to the mantids.

IMG_0582.jpg

To be continued!

Also guys sorry about some of the photos i am a pretty bad photographer.

Here is some more photos of the shield mantis

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

Then while looking at the leaf insects i found the male shield mantis

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Finished hope you like it :D !

@Rob: Don't worry, probably it's their only one. The are quite long-living and make good exhibition subjects. You only need one per year or so... ;)

Very nice pics Emile!

Looks like you had great time.

Is choerododis in culture? Or has it ever been in culture? Just out of curiosity.

They are actually not in culture, but were some years ago. However, that stock turned out to be rather difficult and didn't make it more than 1 generation. Definitely not a beginner species. Idolomantis are easy compared to these ones.

They are actually not in culture, but were some years ago. However, that stock turned out to be rather difficult and didn't make it more than 1 generation. Definitely not a beginner species. Idolomantis are easy compared to these ones.
Thank-you, Christian for clearing that up for me :) . I had a feeling they would prove to be very difficult.

Too bad they look interesting.

Great specimens..i think you just need to practice focus with your camera a little,its quite easy to rush but if you take your time and review in the viewfinder you should get good results...i took some great macro shots on a recent trip using a Fuji J150,which at £100 currently is a snip!

I recently visited a butterfly park in Singapore on my way back from Australia,which had a huge display of mounted insects including a large selection of Mantids..as soon as i get the chance i will post some pics..

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry just wondering...are Choerododis really rare or hard to keep? they look cool (not that i expect to get one) just wondering why you say no ones has cultured them

Im guessing hard to keep, their not rare though

Just non-existent cause they arent in culture :lol:

Latest posts