Video: Mantis Eats Sushi!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and the first two sentences of Joe's post were a perfect example of what happens when someone without any scientific education whatsoever voices their opinion on a scientific subject. American schools foster the notion that a multiplicity of views on a given subject are important and worthy of equal consideration.
Eh! I'm in my fifth year of college. I've seen my share of science classes... although currently I am taking Computer Science. I think your response to my previous post was pretty much a solid rebuttal to my opinion... but I think I said that insects probably do feel pain, just not in the same way that we do, and that pain is subjective.

When I was in high school, and we were taught that the Earth is round... there wasn't an asterisk that explained "But some believe the world to be flat"

Now, flat-earth-ists are rare and extremely mentally impaired... but a more common example is the whole "intelligent design" fallacy. I am dumbfounded that this issue is even debated to this day...

I really could not care less about you assessing my English - you're not giving me my diploma. This is a forum devoted to mantis rearing, not to the proper use of English.

I know that you like to get attention by flaunting your knowledge and write longish and redundant "essays" on every subject you have someting to say about, I get that - we all need attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is getting pretty bad now.unless you want this forum to fall apart, i'd remove it :/
Sorry if I -- we -- made you uncomfortable, Becky, but you should take a lot of this slanging with a grain of salt. I think that Kruszakus, for example, is an asset to the hobby and a more able mantis keeper (and sandbag thrower, come to that) than I shall ever be, but I find it hard to resist when someone leads with their chin! :D I do have one rule though, and that is not to debate with, or even talk to, someone on the forum that I seriously dislike. Just like in real life!

Point taken, Joe!

Just a quick note to say that a few of the members who have expressed issues on this subject clearly had ulterior motives.

For those that may not know, this isn't the only forum on mantises on the internet. A not so subtle attack has been attempted by members of another forum. Loyalist members of their forum (including management) have done their very best this last week to make the most of an opportunity.

They have gone to extreme lengths to attack the moderators of this forum for a video I posted on Youtube. Instead of making the video the issue, certain "members" focused on the moderators here and the management of our forum. This doesn't include everybody in oppostion to the video of a mantis eating a fish. I respect the opinions of others and value their participation in our community despite our sometimes differences of opinion. I do, however, have no respect for those who would attack our community and seek to divide not just our community but the hobby itself with sensational claims. This has always been the most successful mantid forum on the internet and remains the best source for information on the subject. There is clearly a vested interest by some to replace this website. Perhaps they will succeed some day. I'm not interested in control or games. It is no secret that endless dedication to a cause yields results. Me? I'm just interested in mantises. I can say the same for the moderators here and nearly all of the membership. We have no reason to compete or join their forum and PM their members seeking to steal them away. I think I can speak for many and say we don't care or have time to care. We do this because we have a passion for mantises and their nature and nature in general.

It should be pointed out that certain members have been granted more freedoms to express themelves here than they would have been allowed on any other successful internet forum. And as I said before, the words they type are a reflection on themselves. For those that may not see through the mud that's been slung here in an attempt to steal members from our forum (over to theirs) and their vain attempt to divide the mantis hobby into American vs. European, this message is for them and you, and it is simple...

All are welcome here.

I want to thank our moderators (Orin, Rick & Ian) for taking a good portion of the brunt of this attack against our community and handling it professionally. Lastly, I want to say thank you to the members that respectfully voiced their opinion on a "controversial" subject for the sake of personal conviction and argument (and not ulterior motives). We will leave this thread open for another moment or two and be moving on shortly. These things happen from time to time. It would be easy to hide the truth or delete chosen posts or the thread entirely, but we've gone through this as a community and will conclude it as a community. What happens here surely isn't the beginning or end of anybody's life (and certainly not the beginning/end of the hobby itself), but I feel some obligation to reveal the entirety of what we've all been dealing with here.

For the record, nobody has been banned or even given warn points...but then, the thread isn't quite closed yet. ;) To suggest that the forum is falling apart is ridiculous. With exception of a few people with ulterior motives, the same people threatening to leave have a history of doing just that.

And with that, now I'm off to feed a hundred or so mantises..."fruit flies"! ;)

Falling apart? The forum is far from falling apart. Disagreements happen in all online communities, a group of 1000 plus members clearly aren't going to agree on every subject brought up.

It's clear to see for current and new members (including those trying to be "taken away"), that Mantidforum is the best mantid resource on the net. If people want to join a forum with discussion on totally redundant topics and discussion on their new mantid called "bubbles", then please, be my guest. If people want to join/stay on a forum with far more experienced mantid keepers and sound advice, I think Mantidforum is an excellent place to stay :)

That video made me kinda sick because I have an irrational fear of fish out of water. Haha, I'm laaame like that. :wacko:

Lol Peter! Is that wild or not? :D An International Mantis Conspiracy! The Battle of New Orleans all over again, with the same outcome!

If people can become so desperate and devious over tiny little mantids, thank god the elephant hobby never really caught on! :D :lol: :p

This whole string of posts has been chapping my hide for some time now. Not to open up another can of worms, but I fail to see how someone in good conscience could object to this post of a bug eating a feeder fish without actively dedicating their life to eradicate veal, foie gras production, vivisection, cosmetic animal testing, european coarse fishing, by-catch among commercial fishermen, frat boys eating goldfish, national geographic's pic of a hummingbird being devoured by a mantis, skinning animals alive for furs, war, whaling by japan and norway.... the list goes on ad nauseum. Why not dedicate your energy to something useful like marching in front of the norwegian or japanese embassy? SAVE THE WHALES! NOT THE FEEDER FISH! There is nothing endangered or saced about a feeder fish. Come on people, nature is cruel.... get over it.

This whole string of posts has been chapping my hide for some time now. Not to open up another can of worms, but I fail to see how someone in good conscience could object to this post of a bug eating a feeder fish without actively dedicating their life to eradicate veal, foie gras production, vivisection, cosmetic animal testing, european coarse fishing, by-catch among commercial fishermen, frat boys eating goldfish, national geographic's pic of a hummingbird being devoured by a mantis, skinning animals alive for furs, war, whaling by japan and norway.... the list goes on ad nauseum. Why not dedicate your energy to something useful like marching in front of the norwegian or japanese embassy? SAVE THE WHALES! NOT THE FEEDER FISH! There is nothing endangered or saced about a feeder fish. Come on people, nature is cruel.... get over it.
Arkanis: For more on one of these issues, go to http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/skin...6040/?link=obaf and scroll down until you get to the pic of a very cute bunny with skin still safely on. No, I mean it, link up and scroll down, and click to enlarge!! :)

Arkanis: For more on one of these issues, go to http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/skin...6040/?link=obaf and scroll down until you get to the pic of a very cute bunny with skin still safely on. No, I mean it, link up and scroll down, and click to enlarge!! :)
Phil, I must say... I wish you'd never posted that link, and I wish I hadn't gone to it and clicked on the video. I didn't finish watching it. I couldn't.

I do believe this is much different than feeding a goldfish to a mantis in my eyes.

Phil, I must say... I wish you'd never posted that link, and I wish I hadn't gone to it and clicked on the video. I didn't finish watching it. I couldn't.I do believe this is much different than feeding a goldfish to a mantis in my eyes.
Oh, Katt! You didn't follow the instructions, luv! DON'T CLICK ON THE VIDEO (I didn't)! SCROLL DOWN TO THE BUNNY!!

And if anyone else has a problem, I'll just remove the post. Dang!

Katnapper, rule of thumb: If the video is by PETA, it WILL shock you, sicken you and be disturbing.

As for the picture, the bunny rabbit is so cuuute and fuzzy! I'd like to have that bunny as a pet! The girl is fine too.

I think PETA should stick to the latter form of advertisement. I was genuinely sickened and disturbed by that video, and I'm the type of person who finds comedic relief in the Saw series. I also listen to brutal death metal bands that write songs about violence, rape, etc... including bands like Cattle Decapitation, who are also vegans and animal rights activists. So, unless you want to have nightmares for the next year, don't click the "Watch the video" button! Otherwise it's a decent link, mainly because of the bunny picture, just don't click that video. It shows animals getting skinned alive and still being alive after the fact x.x;

Yeah, that is exactly what I am saying. There are plenty of atrocities and horrideous things going on in the world that are WAAAAAY more hectic than a feeder fish being eaten by a meat eating predatory bug. I am eating so I dont really want to click on the thingy but I will take your word for it.

Yeah Joe, Cattle Decapitation! Err, I know this may sound sick, but I'm a registered member of PeTA, but they do go way too far. I signed up for the awesome stickers! :p The videos are gruesome, and I wish I never signed up for awesome stickers. Every bloody week is a new video of animals being tortured. Still, it's sad, but there are far more important things than a mantid eating a fish that was destined to die or be used for breeding.

My god! You guys got to see JAMELIA, wearing nothing but a bunny rabbit, and all you can talk about is horror movies? What is the world coming to? What were you hoping for, Alicia Keys? :D

Edit: Do you think that we've wandered off topic, yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts