Video: Mantis Eats Sushi!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I watched that video the entire way through, and by the end I was BAWLING.

Because those dogs look exactly like my old husky named Santa Paws.

Woo-hoo! I made it in before the thread closed! Page 5, baby!

This thread just provided me with about an hour and a half's worth of entertainment, education, intrigue (Global Mantis Conspiracy) and a really appalling video - and I don't mean the one of the mantis eating the fish. About 1/4 of the way into it, I can't tell if that's the sound of someone coughing or vomiting.

In any case, I'm glad it appears that this thread will be preserved. Thanks to the Mods, and of course to Peter. I wonder if they'd have been less upset if he'd fed the fish to the mantis head first. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i cant read this all due to having to go to an exam in a mo BUT...

As said before it is irrisponcible to show this online, people can interprate all exotic keepers as sadistic and thats where we lose public support in favour of "cute'n'cudly" domestic animals. So when we get these new laws in to hinder and harm our hobby no one cares.

Ceratin invertebrates in the wild do occasionally feed on invertebrates and some dont need to so there really is no point in doing so unless purely for the fact that its feeding on a vertebrate. I would have no problem using vertebrates as feeders for other vertebrates and invertebrates if theres any that HAVE TO feed on vertebrates.

In my humble opinion, a fish being eaten by a Praying Mantis is no different than a fish being eaten by a Mantis Shrimp or any other aquatic animal except that it would probably feel more pain being eaten in the water than out of it, because if it's out of the water it will probably be focusing on trying to breathe.

I rear fishes and my favourites are the Silver Arowana and the Oscar. I've observed them consuming feeder fish and they definitely do not kill their prey instantly, just like the Praying Mantis. In fact, I think, if one were to observe how an Oscar or an Arowana kill prey too big for them to swallow, it would definitely look more violent than a Praying Mantis eating fish.

And if it is said that this doesn't happen in the wild, I don't take it as a valid argument unless someone living 24/7 in the wild has confirmed it. I've seen a video of a Mantis actually catching fish from the water on YouTube, not hand-fed. I would post the link but I'm afraid to start any argument. Now if a Mantis has the capability to actually do that, then it's possible that they might just eat fishes in the wild.

Thoughts from an Asian who keeps Mantids and Fishes and loves them equally! :D

In my humble opinion, a fish being eaten by a Praying Mantis is no different than a fish being eaten by a Mantis Shrimp or any other aquatic animal except that it would probably feel more pain being eaten in the water than out of it, because if it's out of the water it will probably be focusing on trying to breathe.I rear fishes and my favourites are the Silver Arowana and the Oscar. I've observed them consuming feeder fish and they definitely do not kill their prey instantly, just like the Praying Mantis. In fact, I think, if one were to observe how an Oscar or an Arowana kill prey too big for them to swallow, it would definitely look more violent than a Praying Mantis eating fish.

And if it is said that this doesn't happen in the wild, I don't take it as a valid argument unless someone living 24/7 in the wild has confirmed it. I've seen a video of a Mantis actually catching fish from the water on YouTube, not hand-fed. I would post the link but I'm afraid to start any argument. Now if a Mantis has the capability to actually do that, then it's possible that they might just eat fishes in the wild.

Thoughts from an Asian who keeps Mantids and Fishes and loves them equally! :D
Of course it happens in the wild what DOESNT happen in the wild is humans grabbing one animal and shoving it into the jaws of the other!

Of course it happens in the wild what DOESNT happen in the wild is humans grabbing one animal and shoving it into the jaws of the other!
But surely, keeping predators, whether mantids or snakes, consists in grabbing one animal and shoving it into the jaws of another. Did you ever hand feed a mantis?

I can sympathize with the "hurting animals" argument, even though I don't agree with it, but I do have a question for -- not a debate with -- Christians who believe that what is permissible in nature is a not permissible for humans. Why, when He was angry at Adam and Eve, did G-d equally punish the animals and make them guilty of unspeakable behavior towards each other, and why do we believe that we should be morally superior to G-d? I am sure that this is an extremely naive and easily answered question for a Christian, but I don't remember hearing the answer. Is there a Christian who can enlighten me?

But surely, keeping predators, whether mantids or snakes, consists in grabbing one animal and shoving it into the jaws of another. Did you ever hand feed a mantis?
Thats now what we was discussing, i was commenting on feeding VERTEBRATES TO INVERTEBRATES.

Thats now what we was discussing, i was commenting on feeding VERTEBRATES TO INVERTEBRATES.
Now I've GOT YOU! So if I understand you, it's O.K. for inverts to eat vertebrates in the wild or in captivity so long as someone is not forcing the latter into the jaws/mandibles of the former. So if I were to hold a live skink up to feed a mantis, that would be wrong, but if I just popped it into the mantid's enclosue and let "nature take it's course," that would be OK. This seems very complicated. Have I got it right? Do realize; I am not trying to oppose your argument, just understand it.

I bet that if you saw a kid fall into a swimming pool, you'd try and get it out instead of ignoring it, right? So, if you saw a mantis "in the wild" about to devour, say a small lizard, would you rescue the lizard, and wouldn't you be complicit in its suffering if you didn't? But for all you know, that mantis might have captured the lizard because it was starving. Are you going to effectively kill the mantis to save the lizard, and if so, why?

Consider a scale of human pain in which 1 is the pain caused by a scratch, and 10 is the pain caused by falling in a vat of acid (don't you hate when that happens?). Where on the scale would you put the dying fish's pain, and why? Try and be objective about this. Anyone can pick a number at random! I'm really, really looking forward to yr answer!

OMG there is NOTHING wrogn with this video i even give my $300 turtle dozens of FEEDER fish a week and i give my snapping turtle about a dozen LIVE mice a week i give my boa constrictor an adult rat after i slap it against the wall....i even watch as the slaughter house murders a piggy that i raised from a baby....unless you people are living off soy burgers and feeding your mantids nothing but carrots ALOT of you need to get over it...everything eats

unless you people are living off soy burgers and feeding your mantids nothing but carrots ALOT of you need to get over it...everything eats

Including plants.... they have to breath, and eat and drink too. Ever hear a tree scream?

Feeding live vertebrates to other vertebrates that need to feed on vertebrates is fine, feeding live vertebrates to an invertebrate that doest need isnt fine.

But obviously you people have no idea so carry on, upload as many video's as possible like this, lets see how soon your hobby gets banned :D

OMG there is NOTHING wrogn with this video i even give my $300 turtle dozens of FEEDER fish a week and i give my snapping turtle about a dozen LIVE mice a week i give my boa constrictor an adult rat after i slap it against the wall....i even watch as the slaughter house murders a piggy that i raised from a baby....unless you people are living off soy burgers and feeding your mantids nothing but carrots ALOT of you need to get over it...everything eats
And your precisely the sort of person who will get exotic pet keeping banned for us all. Theres no difference in what you have said and the video that has been posted, both condone unnecessary suffering.

don't see a problem with stuff like that, what about those banned or not banned stuff?

And your precisely the sort of person who will get exotic pet keeping banned for us all. Theres no difference in what you have said and the video that has been posted, both condone unnecessary suffering.
ut oh some one save the feeder rodents! keepers have been slapping rodents against there walls for decades and its considered the humane way even...the animal is killed INSTANTLY SO THERE IS NO SUFFERING! crickets roaches and flies should not be put in a special catergory away from rodents, fish, and feeder reptiles everything eats just somehave different feeding habits

Charlie: I admire the force of yr emotion, but the force of yr argument has me puzzled. The connection between what you consider cruelty and the banning of species is not just tenuous, it is non existent. Consider that dog fights flourish not only along the southern border but in cities like NY and Chicago. Are dogs banned as a consequence? The same applies with ###### fighting, particularly in Asian communities, but chickens continue to thrive. No one here has mentioned the serious and deliberate cruelty to animals that is practiced by the cosmetics industry (oh, that's right, you did Arkanis!), the conditions experienced by battery chickens or some of the procedures in slaughter houses. None of these flagrant and long standing abuses has ever caused the "banning" of a single animal. Your argument is not only wrong, it contains a fallacy that is taught to college freshmen. If you are not familiar with the continuum, or "slippery slope" fallacy, exemplified by the absurdity of the "domino theory", then you can easily find it on the internet.

I assume that by "suffering", an emotionally colored word, you mean pain. Humans, regularly expose themselves to pain, be it in fighting, long distance running or even unaccustomed exercise, and there is not one of us who has not experienced it many times in our lives. A sadist loves to inflict pain, but I doubt if he would get much of a charge out of the "suffering" of a fish. Only one member has mentioned nociceptive responses, and that well before this thread. For a scientific argument that shows that nociception and what we experience as pain are very different things, see here: http://cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm Certainly It seems fundamental to the argument. The fish apparently is not in enough pain to die of shock and makes little attempt to struggle. If you are going to protest an action because of its outcome, it is a good idea to know exactly what that outcome is.

Meanwhile, if Peter's fish went to fishy heaven, how proud he must be to know that he was the occasion of so much discussion on the world's greatest mantis forum! :D

Well i'm new to the hobby and i know i havent said much here as i was still trying to learn whats what but i'm sorry, we do seem to have such huge cultural differences and i don't want to be party to what i can only see as out and out barbaric behaviour and openly glorified by some of the members here so i wish to have my account removed from here, if that can be done please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts