Watching..

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wait...I'm a lying liar! I have watched this show a few times and dug it.

You know the first post on there is someone saying how awful the people making this show are and the writer asks "are you the people who pulled wings off flies as children?!"

Well guys I did that yesterday so....yeaaaah I am that kid and so are you if you're feeding your mantid's!

They use some awful mammalian sound effects that made me laugh at first, but my daughter and I stopped watching it because it was distasteful the way they put same size creatures together.

For example, that mantis probably needed some persuasion to attack such a large phasmid, and it didn't even get close to finishing. :(

It does seem like a waste of good arthropoda.

I sure don't. The show is staged and wastes good specimens on primitive gladiatorial style entertainment with little to non educational value.
I know!!! They wasted a perfectly healthy and beautiful Choeradodis male and killed him in a gruesome way. It's just like that gladiator bugs thing on youtube.

THE ABSOLUTE WORST ONE OF ALL :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFkUhVlOxCE

Last edited by a moderator:
They use some awful mammalian sound effects that made me laugh at first, but my daughter and I stopped watching it because it was distasteful the way they put same size creatures together.

For example, that mantis probably needed some persuasion to attack such a large phasmid, and it didn't even get close to finishing. :(

It does seem like a waste of good arthropoda.
They also put together an owl butterfly caterpillar and a giant carnivorous katydid. Who ya think's gonna win??? caterpillars are plant eater!!!!! It's a terrible waste of life

They also put together an owl butterfly caterpillar and a giant carnivorous katydid. Who ya think's gonna win??? caterpillars are plant eater!!!!! It's a terrible waste of life
but it is still what we do, we feed all many of other bugs to our mantids that dont stay a chance against the mantis

only difference is they are doing it for educational purposes and of course to make money from the show

but it is still what we do, we feed all many of other bugs to our mantids that dont stay a chance against the mantis

only difference is they are doing it for educational purposes and of course to make money from the show
But they portray the fight as fair, we do not. I do not see what educational purposes you speak of. All it does is show insects in an evil light (as ruthless killers out for blood). Is that how we want people to think of bugs? they also provide basic and sometimes down right wrong information.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they portray the fight as fair, we do not. I do not see what educational purposes you speak of. All it does is show insects in an evil light (as ruthless killers out for blood). Is that how we want people to think of bugs? they also provide basic and sometimes down right wrong information.
By educational I mean showing what happens in the bug world, and I guess to an uneducated person on bugs they would know no difference

I would know no difference unless someone like you pointed out the wrongs

I would think the majority of people out there already think of bugs as nasty and I admit that some bugs I still find distasteful

A year ago I would not have thought that I would be sitting here surrounded by a room full of "bugs" and to tell you the truth I dont think of my mantis as "bugs"

the feeders yes but not the mantis

so how is the problem solved? I dont think it will be unless someone puts out some quality education

and I dont think that is gonna happen too soon big big channels like discovery and science channel are gonna do what makes them money and unfortunalty in this day and age it is blood and guts whether it be bug against bug or people againt people

sad but true

I enjoy my feeders as much as my predators. I treat them well and give them food that they like. If I think they are too big for the mantis to eat, they are breeders. I don't enjoy watching my mantids catching huge prey items, possibly getting injured theirselves, and then only being able to take a few bites before discarding the still struggling creatures. It happens sometimes, but it is not intentional on my part. When I feed my pets, it is not to watch a fight and see who wins.

I enjoy my feeders as much as my predators. I treat them well and give them food that they like. If I think they are too big for the mantis to eat, they are breeders. I don't enjoy watching my mantids catching huge prey items, possibly getting injured theirselves, and then only being able to take a few bites before discarding the still struggling creatures. It happens sometimes, but it is not intentional on my part. When I feed my pets, it is not to watch a fight and see who wins.
I usually throw in the feeders and turn away LOL

I have to say I honestly don't treat my feeders as well as I treat my mantids. For sure. They are disgusting flies and I don't like them. Well I like the smaller ok. But the big gross ones. Gah! Creep shivers!!!

The narrator always is yelling things negative about bugs. In the beginning hes always like "in the bug world, you have to be a killer to survive. Blood thirsty and ruthless and stuff" BLAH BLAH BLAH RUTHLESS BLAH BLAH KILLER it really gets annoying. AND most of the show's "educational info" is bull.

I usually throw in the feeders and turn away LOL
I treat my feeders very well. But i do admit to watching my mantids eat sometimes. It's interesting

But it's different than faking an educational program and putting two insects that could themselves both be pets at risk of imminent death. That's all i'm saying

I guess I have to admit that I love MMA fights and hockey and basically any 2 dudes pounding the ###### out of each other!

I think that's way crappier then insect fights.

But I personally would never waste one of my mantid's by fighting them.

Watch! Soon this whole forum will be the hub for International mantis boxing matches!!!

I call Team mantis as my name!

More difficult than idolos? What do they need? Gold plated cages?

I haven't found idolos very difficult so far.
No. Proper lighting, height, moisture, food, especially height and moisture. This species has been known to drop dead for no reason. They are apparently prone to infection if oversprayed or undersprayed

No. Proper lighting, height, moisture, food, especially height and moisture. This species has been known to drop dead for no reason. They are apparently prone to infection if oversprayed or undersprayed
I'm going to look for an ooth in the uk forums. Then I can breed and bring them to the U.S.