Watching..

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you could find any I would not recommend that someone of your experience level try them.

Just get a couple more years of experience. Breeding especially.
Agreed. This species isn't for the "faint of heart" if you know what i mean. One story i read said that the guy didn't feed his choeradodis adult female for one day and the next day she was found dead on the floor with sludge coming out of the abdomen. There are a lot of choeradodis stories and guides.

click on september 2011 newsletter (has choeradodis caresheet): http://www.ukmantisforums.co.uk/misc.php?do=page&template=newsletters

http://www.ukmantisforums.co.uk/general-mantis-pics/10322-choeradodis-rhombicollis-hooded-mantis.html

http://www.ukmantisf...ie-konigin.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This goes for a lot of ppl in this hobby, I'm not targeting anyone specifically but just because you want a mantis because it looks cool or w/e it doesn't mean you should get it. Like if someone was offering Toxodera sp. I would only want people with experience to get the mantis, because in this hobby it's not about the money but experience... just because it would be cool to have a rare mantis it would be your responsibility to help get it in to culture and take it seriously...we aren't taking about T sinensis here...

This goes for a lot of ppl in this hobby, I'm not targeting anyone specifically but just because you want a mantis because it looks cool or w/e it doesn't mean you should get it. Like if someone was offering Toxodera sp. I would only want people with experience to get the mantis, because in this hobby it's not about the money but experience... just because it would be cool to have a rare mantis it would be your responsibility to help get it in to culture and take it seriously...we aren't taking about T sinensis here...
Exactly. It'd be like someone who's only raised popas buying a majangella moultoni. It wouldn't make sense. I think it would be okay to get a choeradodis if you've been raising or breeding mantids for about 5 years. (P.S i have spent 8 years raising mantids. That's more than half my life!)

I'm pushing 12 years into the hobby and I have finally got my hands on some Idolo this year...(because many ppl who have experience have got this specie into culture and I believe I am experienced enough to give this specie a shot) and so far it has been nothing but successful...also the mantis hobby is sort of like a culture...just because u research the caresheet doesn't make you an expert on the specie...this is comparable to a culture much like if u took 3 years of a language like an African aboriginal language won't necessarily grant u a chief position with an aboriginal tribe...u will most likely discover something about the specie that you didn't plan on...u will need experience among that tribe to be given responsibility much like you need experience with a certain specie to be able to give credible advice.

All the best,

Andrew

Agreed. This is my 8th year or so in the hobby and I have only just started keeping Idolos. Reading and research is great but nothing beats hands on experience. I would recommend to people who are just starting to try and maintain a breeding group of ghosts or hierodulas before branching out to more difficult sp.

Sorry for all the off topic Sue :blush:

Agreed. This is my 8th year or so in the hobby and I have only just started keeping Idolos. Reading and research is great but nothing beats hands on experience. I would recommend to people who are just starting to try and maintain a breeding group of ghosts or hierodulas before branching out to more difficult sp.

Sorry for all the off topic Sue :blush:
heck I dont care as long as their is conversation going on

At the risk of sounding arrogant (Haha), just get a couple of hooded ooths(Choeradodis) and send them to Henry and I, we'll take care of the rest... :p

But then again it pays to have friends on the UK forum, I may have look into these if people have a interest in them and are serious about trying them here in the USA?

At the risk of sounding arrogant (Haha), just get a couple of hooded ooths(Choeradodis) and send them to Henry and I, we'll take care of the rest... :p

But then again it pays to have friends on the UK forum, I may have look into these if people have a interest in them and are serious about trying them here in the USA?
I think that the only way they will get to the US is in ooth form. All other forms are to fragile (except maybe L5-L6 nymphs.). Convincing them to ship them to the US is a whole other story that I would rather not be a part of.

I think that the only way they will get to the US is in ooth form. All other forms are to fragile (except maybe L5-L6 nymphs.). Convincing them to ship them to the US is a whole other story that I would rather not be a part of.
You know it bud! When buying from overseas ooths are the way to go, nymphs get banged around, dry up, and mismolt most of the time. I mean I've had some success with live nymphs from across the pond but it's a big risk and hard on the mantis as well if they do make it, larger instars will most likely lose feet and/or legs on the 5-6 day+ journey.

Just think that by the time it takes you to get the experience you need, they may be common in the US. Why the rush to always be first? I guess if it's "rare", it is always the most prized. Like my chameleons. Just basic veileds, nothing special, but stayrt talking about "falys" and other rarities people are all over it. They're like chameleon snobs and I suspect the same has a place in the mantid community.

Just think that by the time it takes you to get the experience you need, they may be common in the US. Why the rush to always be first? I guess if it's "rare", it is always the most prized. Like my chameleons. Just basic veileds, nothing special, but stayrt talking about "falys" and other rarities people are all over it. They're like chameleon snobs and I suspect the same has a place in the mantid community.
A big old +1 to this! Let the experts do there work ( I don't count myself in this group).

I think some people(myself included) just like the challenge? With any luck and thanks to a friend in the UK, I may be bringing a very rare and non-existent (in the US) species into culture soon, fingers crossed... Rare means fun, excitement, mixed with some headache, lol. Who could ask for more! :lol:

I think some people(myself included) just like the challenge? With any luck and thanks to a friend in the UK, I may be bringing a very rare and non-existent (in the US) species into culture soon, fingers crossed... Rare means fun, excitement, mixed with some headache, lol. Who could ask for more! :lol:
You go Nick! ;)

-Andrew

I'm up for any challenge! Hit me with your best shot!!

I didn't even know that it was rare in the US. I just thought that it looks really cool! I too am going to try to get an ooth.