What do you keep your mantids in?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20130403_204632.jpg

Im due to change out the soil. I think I'll be going back to paper towels though. I honestly feel cheated. She spends ALLLLL over her time up on the mesh lol. (A large percentage of that time is spent staring at me...Its weird lol)

If requested I can post up the entire process of me making this beauty :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who ate all the cheese balls? I make these, but I also cut out the labeled area and hot glue on screen for better ventilation. Great size for larger mantids and good for a mating chamber for smaller species.

\

Who ate all the cheese balls? I make these, but I also cut out the labeled area and hot glue on screen for better ventilation. Great size for larger mantids and good for a mating chamber for smaller species.
My 2 year old and I did :) That screen there is all I had available to me.

IMG_20130403_204632.jpg

Im due to change out the soil. I think I'll be going back to paper towels though. I honestly feel cheated. She spends ALLLLL over her time up on the mesh lol. (A large percentage of that time is spent staring at me...Its weird lol)

If requested I can post up the entire process of me making this beauty :)
I like the lid!

I like the lid!

And P.S., mantids who aren't wild aren't immune to outdoor bacteria/fungus/parasites, just to let you know. So soil should be baked if you bought the nymph from a breeder (not trying to sound like a know it all, just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't! :) )
Can you prove this please?

Can you prove this please?
I too, would like to see some evidence.

I have been using outdoor sticks, other items, and feeders, for the couple of years that I have been rearing mantids. I have had no problems with any of that when employing common sense, like not using anything from an area that is treated with pesticides, or not feeding obviously ill or dangerous insects to mantids.

And P.S., mantids who aren't wild aren't immune to outdoor bacteria/fungus/parasites, just to let you know. So soil should be baked if you bought the nymph from a breeder (not trying to sound like a know it all, just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't! :) )
Interesting. I've heard about the immunity in CB versus WC. I personally bake my twigs cause I have a crazy gardener that randomly put weird stuff on whatever, for instance ROUND UP on my ROSÉ bush by accident, anyhow Different issue but I bake sticks, never the soil though. In fact, as I recall, though please don't take this as fact, that there is a thread on here about "bedding" and some people use potting soil which I don't think is found in the wild. I don't at all mean that sarcastically, Iam just saying, I am not sure Miracle Grows potting soil is in the jungle where some of these mantids originate from. Can you provide some evidence of this? I use paper towel so I guess its not an issue for me so much as a curiosity.

I like the lid!

LIES, MARY! LIES! Stop spreading this myth!

Exactly, I was thinking about it logically. You don't lose your entire immune system 1 generation or even several generations removed from the wild.

Latest posts