What do you keep your mantids in?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MantidBro I sincerely hope you do not think we are haters.

The reason you are getting so much push back is because what you are saying is contrary to our hard large wealth of experience. If you provide sources and studies than we can believe you. Short of that our experience trumps your he said she said.

I apologize for being so off topic Tammy. I know it takes a lot of work to moderate this forum.

I'm not the least bit angry, just plainspoken. Your friend does not know as much as she thinks she knows.

Obviously you guys are just haters. Did you even READ what she wrote, and take it into consideration? Not any of that information came from google - she said you could LOOK if you wanted proof, and it was about flu shots.
Mantidbro:

Not a hater. Was joshing you. Didn't realize you were sensitive. I think what everyone is saying is that we want to see a citation of a source not just a word of mouth explanation, that's all. Name calling is no bueno. I've treated you respectfully and I'd appreciate the same in return. I asked for a SOURCE to be cited. Not a hater. Not gullible either. I have nothing more to say regarding this.

As for the rest of the topic.... I've been looking at these Petco aquariums that I picked up from their dollar a gallon sale. I was wondering if using a cork background for a breeding enclosure would aide in humidity? I've read cork doesn't mold or rot and there are some pre-made panels in the market. Iam wondering if siliconing that in would allow for better grip? Or is the screen/branch the best way to go?

If there's one thing I learned in this world it's "to each his own" and it's not all to hard to just agree to disagree, no need for hard feelings over such a silly subject, with all due respect.

I believe were all on the same team? :)

I have used cork panel background in frog vivs and they hold up very well. I'm not sure that they will do anything to raise humidity on their own but they do not have mold or rot problems in wet environments. I believe Mike has been experimenting with cork for some mantids.

I have used cork panel background in frog vivs and they hold up very well. I'm not sure that they will do anything to raise humidity on their own but they do not have mold or rot problems in wet environments. I believe Mike has been experimenting with cork for some mantids.
Interesting! Thanks for the input! So what are people using for breeding enclosure in terms of size? 10gal? 20gal? Is it dependent on the mantid as far as aggressiveness? I know the enclosure needs lots of hides for the male but from your guys' experience what are the must haves in a breeding enclosure?

Look guys. Sorry if you think I'm sensitive. Maybe I am. I don't think you're all haters. I was bothered when my friend was labeled as an idiot. That's where most of my anger came from. You guys can believe what you want to believe - I don't care what you believe. I care about what I believe. I agree with my friend, who is a teacher and has a degree in biology, also breeds many different invertebrates. It makes sense to me, what she says. But you guys can believe what you want, I'm not against any of you. I will admit I am sensitive to sarcasm and rude remarks, though. I should just let it slide.

Bonjour!!
It's like my most favorite commercial. Makes me proud to have them as my insurance co.

Mantidbro: no one is angry at you. Iam not. I tend to draw pretty clear boundaries is all. So we learned something about each other. I tend to be the sarcasm queen and fail to realize not everyone loves sarcasm. I think it's mature of you to admit it don't like it, now Iam aware and we move forward. Like angelofdeath said earlier, we're all on the same team. No worries. Plus I didn't see your other posts so have no idea what was said since then.

It's like my most favorite commercial. Makes me proud to have them as my insurance co.

Mantidbro: no one is angry at you. Iam not. I tend to draw pretty clear boundaries is all. So we learned something about each other. I tend to be the sarcasm queen and fail to realize not everyone loves sarcasm. I think it's mature of you to admit it don't like it, now Iam aware and we move forward. Like angelofdeath said earlier, we're all on the same team. No worries. Plus I didn't see your other posts so have no idea what was said since then.
That 'bonjour' guy is annoying, isn't he? Lol...

I'm glad we can move forward. I meant no harm, really. I was only momentarily upset, and it made me react in a certain way. I agree with Angelofdeathzz, sometimes I feel people are against me, but I suppose it's just because they don't agree, and it's not entirely personal. Honestly, I have Asperger's syndrome, and I'm not the best at understanding people. I look at things differently than most. I got rid of my other posts because I reacted defensively. There's no need to add fire to the flame, it just makes things worse.

So what did you name your living Stagmomantis Carolina that I sent you?

His name is Spartacus lol as far as having aspergers.... I totally get it now. :) I teach students with aspergers so I can appreciate why sarcasm isn't your friend! Got it!

Where do you guys get these large containers anyhow? I don't think I have ever seen these "cheese balls" people are talking about. I've seen the licorice containers that D_hempstress put hers in but haven't seen pickle jars or cheese balls.... What's the magic store? Lol

I prefer the containers with pretzels. I'm not a big fan of cheese balls. I get pretzels at Costco, but I have seen the containers around regular grocery stores with various items.. I always check out the candy and chip aisles for potential bug houses. :lol:

Our Target has a nice big cheeseball container. I like that it is square shaped and easy to screen. Round ones are nice, but the screen can pucker sometimes.

Small nymphs are kept in a variety of containers,once past their 2nd instar the containers get a lot more uniformed ;-)

Older instars in these,stood upright and appropriately meshed: http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=521

Older Instars again I keep in 1.3l braplast tubs,stood upright and vented again :) very uniformed and easy to cut in as much ventilation as needed :)