What kind of mantis should I get?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synn

Reaction score
This is the big question! Hah!

What kind of mantis should I get? The only nearby breeder that I know of only has Asia Giant Mantises, and Budwing Mantises. I like the look of the budwings, but the size of the Asia Giant's. I'd be up for hearing about different kinds that may suit me, but these may be the only kind I can actually get, for my first mantis anyway. I'm hoping in the future to have a larger, more diverse collection, but for now I don't want to actually have any mantises shipped to me.

I'm hoping to get a female that is easy to handle, that's my big thing. I want to be able to take out my mantis if I so feel like it. Do you guys have any feelings for either of these species you'd care to share about? Thanks!

Well since you're in the bay area around spring/summer you can go down to the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley they usually have a couple different species last time I checked they had Spiny Flower, Chinese, Stick, and African mantises.

Well since you're in the bay area around spring/summer you can go down to the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley they usually have a couple different species last time I checked they had Spiny Flower, Chinese, Stick, and African mantises.
Oh I didn't even think about the East Bay Vivarium! So they won't have any for sale this time of the year?

Have you worked with any of the species you listed? What do you think of them?

I talked with a worker last week actually she said they'd have them in maybe March/April depends really and I've worked with Chinese and Spiny Flowers out of those both are the favorites from what I have worked with, spiny flowers because of their strong claws for their size and their overall look in general, and the Chinese because of their size and personality.

I have both the bud and asian right now, and I guess both are pretty much the same in temperament, and both eat the same., so really up to u, the asian is bigger and that is about the only diff, except, the asian has never shown me her mean wings whereas every now and then the buds do! :D

I have both the bud and asian right now, and I guess both are pretty much the same in temperament, and both eat the same., so really up to u, the asian is bigger and that is about the only diff, except, the asian has never shown me her mean wings whereas every now and then the buds do! :D
Explain "mean wings" to me please?

figure this, if you get both kinds, and only one of each, will you be able to breed them, for ootheca's, or is that even in your plan...

May be, if you want to breed, in your best interest to get a male and a female of a single type, or a pair of both types.

I'd do some search function searches on each of these types, including their latin names, and see what is said about them and their care etc, and then make a more informed decision. Not all the knowing members are on here at all times and you may see some other info that isn't on this thread that may help you make a more informed decision.

I would advise you make sure you have a food source before you jump, and a backup food source in case yours dies or gets kicked over and escapes etc. Those situations aren't like michelob, an unexpected pleasure B)

figure this, if you get both kinds, and only one of each, will you be able to breed them, for ootheca's, or is that even in your plan...May be, if you want to breed, in your best interest to get a male and a female of a single type, or a pair of both types.

I'd do some search function searches on each of these types, including their latin names, and see what is said about them and their care etc, and then make a more informed decision. Not all the knowing members are on here at all times and you may see some other info that isn't on this thread that may help you make a more informed decision.

I would advise you make sure you have a food source before you jump, and a backup food source in case yours dies or gets kicked over and escapes etc. Those situations aren't like michelob, an unexpected pleasure B)
I don't plan to breed. I wouldn't breed something unless I had the space, money, and a very extensive knowledge of the kritter. These two are simply going to be pets and help me learn, but I don't think I will ever breed them, just keep them and admire their beauty. :D The pet store I work at has 3 different sized crickets, and from what I've read both of these are good eaters, so that should be fine. Thanks for your concern and help!

Remember to make sure they're fed well/taken care of well before feeding them to the mantis.

Latest posts