What Kind Of Plants ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwpatton

Reaction score
so im going to home depot tomorrow for a couple fittings for a setup on my 55gallon Cichlid Tank ...

while im there im going to pick up a small bag of soil, and looking into getting about 3 Low-Light or Low-Tech plants for the 14 gallon (for sure one that is a slow ivy style)

i was curious, what kind of plants would be a good Mantis Environment plant ... i know ferns are generally a NO NO as their prey can usually hide or getaway from them in them... i'd like something that has a bit of leaf too it and really doesnt hugg the ground, maybe one that stays closer to ground, and one that gets a decent height but not to crazy..

before u get on me about branches, i have a rather long flex branch that will be transport to the 14 gall from tote so he will have enought to climb or hang upside down as he is now...

make sense?

what do u guys suggest?

You could always decorate your 55 however you want... with ferns, etc. and then just have a separate smaller feeding tank. A 55 is so big anyway, it would already take the mantis a while to stalk down anything you put in there, unless you plan on putting a LOT of prey inside.

Never heard of ferns being a no no. They will work fine. Really up to you though. I think planted terrariums are cool. But mantids will almost always go to the highest point in a cage which is usually the lid.

You could always decorate your 55 however you want... with ferns, etc. and then just have a separate smaller feeding tank. A 55 is so big anyway, it would already take the mantis a while to stalk down anything you put in there, unless you plan on putting a LOT of prey inside.
haha i see what you did there...

but no the 55gal is dedicated to my Cichlid's

Latest posts