Which roach is smaller than turkistan?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timor

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to get some roaches to feed the Ameles Heldreichi I am getting and was curious if there were any roaches smaller than turkistan seeing as the Ameles are small and I am getting oothecas.

Thanks

Timor

Turkistan nymphs should be plenty small! If you need the smallest, it might be wise to gather the Turk ooths and try hatching them in a separate container, like a jar (with moist paper towel for humidity.) Make sure the lid is secure enough to keep tiny nymphs in there, though!

I might just breed the turkistan roaches and feed all the nymphs and then sell away any of them which are too big or I don't need.

Does this sound good?

Thanks

Timor

This is really interesting! I'm not sure that anyone in the US is is keeping this species! Is this your first mantis? I have not seen any lengths posted for it, but I know that an adult female is about 3cm (1.2"), so the nymphs should be very tiny and need mels. As Green Oasis says, B.lateralis is about 3mm in the first instar and about 1.25 c.m. as an adult, so you are going to have some pretty exhausted mantids if this is your main food!

It is a fact of life that sometimes an ooth hatches in transit, so be sure that you are completely set up with food and housing now! Good luck!

I might just breed the turkistan roaches and feed all the nymphs and then sell away any of them which are too big or I don't need.

Does this sound good?

Thanks

Timor
I don't see the point in that, turks breed like mad from what I know. Get a couple dozen adults and you have almost all the food you'll ever need for them/other future pets. You mentioned you want to breed your mantids, so keep a colony of turks for future nymphs. If you have more than you need, scoop up a couple cups, toss em in the freezer and forget about them till the next day. Come sunrise, thaw 'em out and toss them outside for the birds and other insects. As simple as that.

EDIT: Judging from what Phil said above, you're going to need a melanogaster fruit fly culture instead of roaches. Because 1.2" is plenty small as an adult, nymphs would be the size of ants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Philin Yuma the Ameles Heldreichi are a rare species and not many people have them. I might do what most people have said and just have a melanogaster fruit fly culture like most people say would be best.

Thanks everyone

Timor

While I agree to go w/ FFs for mantid nymphs that small. It is never too early to think about a roach culture to support your adult mantids when they become adults.

Latest posts