Wingless Fruit flies, can they climb plastic?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzmantis

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a noob at mantis care as I have only been keeping mantids for a few months and have only ever had one. I would like another to add to my family, but since my first mantis I got was a giant indian mantis at 3rd-4th instar (and it could barely tackle crickets), i'm gonna need fruit flies for another species that is a smaller species but still a 3rd-4th instar. So the question I'm asking is: Can fruit flies climb up vertical plastic walls (I keep my mantids in Geo Plastic Tanks, which do not have very fine mesh at the top). If they can climb it, i'm in trouble, please help. :blink:

Hi, I'm a noob at mantis care as I have only been keeping mantids for a few months and have only ever had one. I would like another to add to my family, but since my first mantis I got was a giant indian mantis at 3rd-4th instar (and it could barely tackle crickets), i'm gonna need fruit flies for another species that is a smaller species but still a 3rd-4th instar. So the question I'm asking is: Can fruit flies climb up vertical plastic walls (I keep my mantids in Geo Plastic Tanks, which do not have very fine mesh at the top). If they can climb it, i'm in trouble, please help. :blink:
Yes they can ....

Get anything with a lid. A cloth lid or an opening sealed with a piece of cloth will keeps flies from escaping.

And learn the tap-tap-tap-tap-tap....method. Keep tapping your jar/container gently on the table surface when you have the lid removed. Works great!

And learn the tap-tap-tap-tap-tap....method. Keep tapping your jar/container gently on the table surface when you have the lid removed. Works great!
But I hve no rhythm, can I still do the tap tap ? :p

Latest posts