Wire shelving mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinsWither

Reaction score
I am planning to have mantids (and a whole bunch of inverts) on a shelving unit that is 36" by 24" by 72". Would this be able to hold a bunch of mantids while being able to heat them with a human heating pad? Any thing I should know? It has 4 shelves. 

@KevinsWither No it will not.

Like all heat sources (unless they heat the entire room) the heat pad will only heat one habitat, or maybe two if the pad is laid in-between two habitats. So if you need to heat several you will need more heat sources. For the shelving unit though it will hold many mantids, depending on their habitat size.

The things to watch out for with metal wire shelves are electric cords (as the electricity from a cut/rubbed/exposed cord can shock you and your mantids), and if you use the nymph cups or anything with a small base they can easily tip over from the wire support.

Personally I have used a wire shelving starting with my very first mantid, and recently bought a larger one for my expansion. :) I really enjoy mine, have had no problems besides small cups tipping, but the pros to owning it easily make up for that.

As in heating enclosures I mean heating multiple deli containers. 
Even with deli cups you will likely only be able to heat 4 to 6 deli cups total depending on the pad size (normal or oversized). The only way to know is place them on the pad to see how many can fit onto the surface.

Latest posts