Would this be a good enclosure?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliCat37

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't got a mantid yet, and I am in the beginning stages of research. The recommended book "Praying Mantids: Keeping Aliens" is on the way, it just shipped out this morning and should be here by next week. I came across this viv, and I was wondering if it would be a good home for a mantid. I haven't done much research on the types of mantids, but I think I will be going with a ghost when I do get one.

Here is the link to the viv I found.

http://www.gliderpets.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85&products_id=2001

Thanks everyone! And out of curiosity, how would I prevent them from getting hurt on the screen?

Thanks everyone! And out of curiosity, how would I prevent them from getting hurt on the screen?
Depending on the species it isn't much of a concern. I've kept mantids with screen lids for years with no issues. Empusidae's really are the main family of mantids with issues and screen lids. If you're keeping something other than that I wouldn't worry so much about it.

I think Exo Terra terrariums make great homes for several mantis species. I have 6 of them in a variety of sizes. Some do fine with just the screen lids. For others, I have used the mesh laundry bag from a dollar store suggested by another forum member. I cut the laundry bag and just slip the lid inside. I can take it off to wash or when I don't need it. (For the terrarium that used to house my Idolos, I did glue the sticks and laundry bag to the screen lid.)

Latest posts