Bugfest 2012! The theme is mantids!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Bugfest 2012 at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences is 9/15 this year.

I've been bugging them for years to have the theme be mantids and it finally is. As some of you know I have been hosting a mantis booth at this event since 07. It is the first and only all mantis booth. Sady, the museum will only allow me to bring U.S. mantids.

So as usual I am looking for ideas or things you think people might be interested in seeing that is mantid related to have at my booth. I plan on a live mantis feeding every hour this year. I also plan on making a large poster to have up and am looking for ideas as to what to put on it.

I will be needing and and all U.S mantids for display. I kindly ask for donations but I am willing to purchase what I need. I hope to be able to get some of the more unusual/uncommon U.S mantids so if you know of the whereabouts of species like ground mantids please let me know. I'll be starting to gather mantids the first week or so of August.

If you're in NC please visit this event. It is quite a show and attracts thousands. I have been invited to give a speech this year on mantids as well.

This has been the general format for the past years. I want to make it better:

P9110002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have no trouble finding S. carolina, T. sinensis, B. borealis, T. angustipennis, etc. However I would be interested in other Stagmomantis sp. Not going to get any live mantids in until first week of August because I have a vacation coming up.

Also looking for any hatched ooths anyone might have kept.

Thanks!

I should have no trouble finding S. carolina, T. sinensis, B. borealis, T. angustipennis, etc. However I would be interested in other Stagmomantis sp. Not going to get any live mantids in until first week of August because I have a vacation coming up.

Also looking for any hatched ooths anyone might have kept.

Thanks!
I have a few hatched ooths and in august my stagmo californica will be adults

If I mate them and get some ooths by then I will send them to u

I have a few hatched ooths and in august my stagmo californica will be adults

If I mate them and get some ooths by then I will send them to u
Ok let me know. I try to only display adults at the even though so if you have any let me know. What kind of hatched ooths do you have? I have a modest collection but plenty I don't have yet. Thanks.

Ok let me know. I try to only display adults at the even though so if you have any let me know. What kind of hatched ooths do you have? I have a modest collection but plenty I don't have yet. Thanks.
I have an adult female phyllovates chlorophea and by the fest my stagmomantis californica will be adults

I have hatched stagmomantis limbata and californica ooths and a tenodera sinensis ooth

Pm me for details ;)

I have an adult female phyllovates chlorophea and by the fest my stagmomantis californica will be adults

I have hatched stagmomantis limbata and californica ooths and a tenodera sinensis ooth

Pm me for details ;)
I have those ooths. Your chlorophea will probably be dead by the time I need one.

Rick,

Do you think you can make a video of this (when the show starts) and share it to people like me who cant go to it in person?

Just a thought

I can find ground mantids for you Rick. I've seen more than dozens of them in Davis. I'll let you know if I'll be going back there before you start needing the mantids.

And I can get you Iris oratoria and definitely M. religiosa which you haven't mentioned yet.

I can find ground mantids for you Rick. I've seen more than dozens of them in Davis. I'll let you know if I'll be going back there before you start needing the mantids.

And I can get you Iris oratoria and definitely M. religiosa which you haven't mentioned yet.
I do not believe there are ground mantids in NY. Maybe you're talking about somewhere else? You're correct, I do need the oratoria and religiosa since we don't have either of those here. Thanks!

Lol, Davis, California is where I mean. Don't know if Davis, New York exists. I'm in California during the summer doing research on Northern California species of mantids and where they are located in the vegetation compared to one another. So I've been going to different places in Northern California and finding mantids. Where I've stumbled across a gold mine of ground mantids.

Here's a picture of one of the many specimens captured for measurements

photo22.jpg

And the reserve where I find them

photo31.jpg

I also find the Iris buddies up there in Davis as well, so I'll be sure to get some for you. Good thing you need them in August and not...now because I won't be going up there for a while it seems. As far as M. religiosa, don't worry, I have a whole battalion of those guys. Not to mention I see so many outside now, they're almost like pests. Don't even bother to capture them.

I'll pm you when I go out sampling and I'll be sure to do some collecting (for you, myself and the university).

Gotcha. I was confused since you're profile says NY. But you're a lifesaver on those. Only one year did I have a single ground mantis. What species do you have there in the cup? The one I had before was L. minor and he was quite the attraction. I'll start getting the animals in around first part of August probably. Thanks in advance.

They're L. minor as well. And I'm glad to help out. These guys are definitely cool so I'm not surprised they drew some attention.

I have been there twice!
Lol, Davis, California is where I mean. Don't know if Davis, New York exists. I'm in California during the summer doing research on Northern California species of mantids and where they are located in the vegetation compared to one another. So I've been going to different places in Northern California and finding mantids. Where I've stumbled across a gold mine of ground mantids.

Here's a picture of one of the many specimens captured for measurements

photo22.jpg

And the reserve where I find them

photo31.jpg

I also find the Iris buddies up there in Davis as well, so I'll be sure to get some for you. Good thing you need them in August and not...now because I won't be going up there for a while it seems. As far as M. religiosa, don't worry, I have a whole battalion of those guys. Not to mention I see so many outside now, they're almost like pests. Don't even bother to capture them.

I'll pm you when I go out sampling and I'll be sure to do some collecting (for you, myself and the university).
Wow, Ground Mantids! That is great!

Thanks. Those two species will be a great addition.