Bugfest 2012! The theme is mantids!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugfest 2012 at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences is 9/15 this year.
Is it the 15th day of the 9th month? My dad said we could maybe go if nothing is going on. I did not expect that LOL! :stuart: I will be very happy to meet you! If I do. <_<

great thread and what a forum! so nice to see all of the enthusiastic cooperation to help rick! and agent A, you are hilarious!

rick do you have a powerpoint presentation running on the laptop? we did a ppt for my daughter's class last year - if i can dig it up and you think it might be relevant/appropriate for the audience - you are welcome to it

I can have any ooths or dead mantids. It is the live ones that must be natives. Looking forward to seeing you again Paul. Now I got more to be nervous about with you watching my speech! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
great thread and what a forum! so nice to see all of the enthusiastic cooperation to help rick! and agent A, you are hilarious!

rick do you have a powerpoint presentation running on the laptop? we did a ppt for my daughter's class last year - if i can dig it up and you think it might be relevant/appropriate for the audience - you are welcome to it
I will have one yes. I need to get working on it! The majority of the visitors to Bugfest are just regular people so my speech will be geared towards people with little to no knowledge of mantids.

Looks like I have the ooths covered with help from another member.

Do u want an old infertile gongy ooth?? If I don't find a mate for my lonely Cali girl u can have her...
I have one already. I have a decent collection already. Going to take a bunch off the hands of another member. Covered as far as ooths go.

What time will you start and end?
Haven't been told as of yet. Thirty minute speech is all I know right now.

I should have no trouble finding S. carolina, T. sinensis, B. borealis, T. angustipennis, etc. However I would be interested in other Stagmomantis sp. Not going to get any live mantids in until first week of August because I have a vacation coming up.

Also looking for any hatched ooths anyone might have kept.

Thanks!
Remember on Mantodea.speciesfiles.org and GbIF Mantodea there is no Tenodera angustipennis listed but their is a subspecies Tenodera aridifolia angustipennis listed and I could not find it listed anywhere else.

The Tenodera angustipennis Rick mentioned is the Tenodera aridofolia angustipennis. Apparently, as subspecies of Tenodera aridofolia. However here in the states, since the latter isn't found here, most people just shorten it to Tenodera angustipennis. Rick could be specific, but since he's dealing with "non mantid folk", there's no real need.

I can have any ooths or dead mantids. It is the live ones that must be natives. Looking forward to seeing you again Paul. Now I got more to be nervous about with you watching my speech! Thanks.
No worries! I won't judge you to harshly. :lol: I'll make sure that little kid comes again that argued with you that a Brunners mantis is really a walking stick. :lol:

The Tenodera angustipennis Rick mentioned is the Tenodera aridofolia angustipennis. Apparently, as subspecies of Tenodera aridofolia. However here in the states, since the latter isn't found here, most people just shorten it to Tenodera angustipennis. Rick could be specific, but since he's dealing with "non mantid folk", there's no real need.
Ummmm... that would make it into a species. If you do not want to be specific but close you should call it Tenodera aridifolia but you know what subspecies it is so why not say what it is? You wrote Tenodera aridofolia, replace the O with and I like Tenodera aridifolia. Well some people might know what you are talking about when you write Tenodera angustipennis but to a person who does not I would write the scientific name which is unique!, I think and I would write the common name Narrow Winged Mantis.

Ummmm... that would make it into a species. If you do not want to be specific but close you should call it Tenodera aridifolia but you know what subspecies it is so why not say what it is? You wrote Tenodera aridofolia, replace the O with and I like Tenodera aridifolia. Well some people might know what you are talking about when you write Tenodera angustipennis but to a person who does not I would write the scientific name which is unique!, I think and I would write the common name Narrow Winged Mantis.
Sorry for the spelling mistake. I realize shortening it like that would make it a species but what I'm trying to explain is that people for whatever reason spell it that way because only the subspecies is found in the states. Not saying it's right, just saying that's what it is. Not trying to start an argument over something like this, but whether Rick was to say angustipennis, aridifolia or aridifolia angustipennis, I don't think the common person would understand. Besides, if you google Tenodera angustipennis, the full scientific name pops up, where as if you google Tenodera aridifolia, angustipennis wouldn't pop up. But yeah, writing the common name would be easier, especially for North American species, where there's not too much overlap withmantis common names so the people can easily find out more info on their own time.

I know how nomenclature works. The taxonomy with mantids is a bit confusing. I can go to three different sources and find three different names for the same species. Common names will be used with this event, but scientific names will also be present.

Sorry for the spelling mistake. I realize shortening it like that would make it a species but what I'm trying to explain is that people for whatever reason spell it that way because only the subspecies is found in the states. Not saying it's right, just saying that's what it is. Not trying to start an argument over something like this, but whether Rick was to say angustipennis, aridifolia or aridifolia angustipennis, I don't think the common person would understand. Besides, if you google Tenodera angustipennis, the full scientific name pops up, where as if you google Tenodera aridifolia, angustipennis wouldn't pop up. But yeah, writing the common name would be easier, especially for North American species, where there's not too much overlap withmantis common names so the people can easily find out more info on their own time.
Isn't it because just about everybody thinks it is a species and they do not know that it is a subspecies of Tenodera aridifolia and not because they just do not want to take time to write aridifolia (that is nothing so it would not make sense)? It is only Wikipedia that shows up on Google search with the name. I changed it recently from Tenodera angustipennis to Tenodera aridifolia angustipennis. All the other places on the Google search list it as a species so I think they think it is a species and not a subspecies of Tenodera aridifolia.

If you guys want to discuss nomenclature please make a new thread.

Ok here is a list of most of the U.S mantids. The ones I have marked 'local' I can find locally in the wild. I am looking for any leads on those species that haven't already been mentioned in this thread. Looks like I have the L. minor covered as well as a couple others. Is anybody keeping G. grisea or either of the unicorn mantids? Both were common not long ago.

Stagmomantis limbata

Stagmomantis carolina (local)

Tenodora angustipennis (local)

Mantis religiosa

Brunneria borealis (local)

Thesprotia graminis

Tenodera Sinensis (local)

Pseudovates arizonae

Iris oratoria

Stagmomantis floridensis

Gonatista grisea

Litaneutria minor