A First For Me

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDazz

Reaction score
Helllo,

I just tried to feed my baby and she did something I've never seen (being a newbie it probably will be a long list of first lol)

I dropped a few flies in for her (actually 3 by accident) bu she wasn't her usually self... She didn't go after them and when they came close she batted them away... However she did catch one and ate only half (a first also) and I guess they were kinda stressing her cause she was a little skittish she also injured one pretty bad... Any way I got a little skittish myself and opened the top enough for them to escape... He's a little video showing her shoo'ing them away... I've read enough in the forum to realize it might be a molt coming but just to make sure I want to ask my new forum family... Oh yea Happy Friday!!!

https://youtu.be/8YbtNyhlUmY

https://youtu.be/8YbtNyhlUmY

Keep a notepad of molt days.  You'll get a quick sense when the next molt is imminent.  She's most likely getting ready for one.  Swatting or running from prey is a good molting-is-coming sign.  Or, less probability, she's just not hungry.  Good idea you removed the prey in case she's headed for a molt.

She looks fine, and very active in the video, so there's nothing to worry about. Likely she isn't hungry, but might be molting soon (perhaps tomorrow as she is too active to do it tonight). :)

Indeed Digger is right, and the notepad is a good idea. I personally just use a long text document on my PC to log my mantid/insect/etc duties and events. I just change it out yearly and as needed can refer back to it quickly with the search option. ;)

There is a good chance she is getting ready to molt, but it could also be from lack of hunger. She looks really plump in the video. I suggest bringing down the feeding level a notch as overly plump nymphs are at a greater risk during molts.

Ok thanks I will definitely monitor it... She has a little place where she likes to hang out it's towards the back on or behind this big pothos leaf...  

14269608_1746617072260885_1852984293_n.png

Nice molt man, mine did also molt from the top of the cage and once from a stick. they are quite good at finding a good molting spot. next molt should be in like 3 weeks, at least for my sphodromantis it took 3 weeks

@CosbyArt Yes it is amazing... I've been starring in amazement all weekend... Gotta Love nature!

@Coyote Thanks... I'll keep myself reminded and make sure I pay attention!

Different mantis have different times between molts I think. And the amounts of molts typical for different species varies. But yeah my two always would only eat half a meal before molting if that. And congrats! Molts are always so exciting/scary!! ^^

Looks like she is moving right along with her molts and doing great, congrats. So it seems you have a bit of a green thumb and have some mantid husbandry skills too. :D

Lol thanks... However I can take no credit whatsoever...Only taking the time to read every post this forum has to offer... 

I will take a much better pic tomorrow... I'm upset because I actually video taped the whole molting process (which took about 25 mins) just to run out of space on my phone the last minute she fully escaped from her skin LOL 

It's funny how she did it this time, I noticed the humidity was getting pretty high so I turned on the little cpu fan I have sitting on top of the encloser... She was in the corner where she hasn't moved from the past 12 hours but once the fan came on she went directly under it... I thought she was just having fun swaying back and forth from the wind but moments later she started molting!!! I got nervous because I didn't want the air to knock her down so I turned it off and started filming... This little lady gives me something to enjoy almost every single day!!

Ah another fast molter like my H. Venosa! She would molt so fast it was hard to keep up. It was kind of like, "oh god she molted again and now she's even bigger" lol like about twice until I got used to it and could tell when she was ready for her next molt. Yeah they do a very characteristic, rhythmic swaying when they're twisting out of their old skin. On my H. Venosa's final molt I noticed her starting to do the sway just before me and my girl left to go hang out with some friends and when we came back sure enough she had molted! So exciting!