Aluine - Sphodromantis lineola

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bolus: The chewed food. You can see it pass through some mantids.

Sorry about that. :blush:
No problem, it's fine, I learn new words and expressions here. My English is really academic, even if I mostly watch movies and series in English with subtitles, to learn more "modern language", I really have to make efforts to learn more :)

Thanks for the explanation and don't be sorry ^^

It seems as if Aluine is not accustomed to being outside her terrarium. Like most/or all, mantids she would prefer not to be bothered at all. The fact that she has never been handled as a nymph, may be why she is so jumpy. Maybe it is normal for that species to be high strung?

However, that doesn't mean that you can't have her out. How else will you do maintenance in her enclosure?

Whenever I have a mantis out, I put them on a plant and feed them there (getting them out without incident, may be the hardest part). I will make a point to keep calm and not make any sudden movements. Sometimes I have them eat on my hand. Once they are eating, they are not usually moving around. Make sure that there are not any other animals out that may bother it.

I am not sure if mantids can be tamed, or if that is even the right word for it.

I suppose that I am lucky that my mantids have been very docile. I have never had much of a problem when handling, with the exception of Creobroter pictipennis(they were high strung and had a tendency to dart away, jump, or run more than my other species have).

It seems as if Aluine is not accustomed to being outside her terrarium. Like most/or all, mantids she would prefer not to be bothered at all. The fact that she has never been handled as a nymph, may be why she is so jumpy. Maybe it is normal for that species to be high strung?

However, that doesn't mean that you can't have her out. How else will you do maintenance in her enclosure?

Whenever I have a mantis out, I put them on a plant and feed them there (getting them out without incident, may be the hardest part). I will make a point to keep calm and not make any sudden movements. Sometimes I have them eat on my hand. Once they are eating, they are not usually moving around. Make sure that there are not any other animals out that may bother it.

I am not sure if mantids can be tamed, or if that is even the right word for it.

I suppose that I am lucky that my mantids have been very docile. I have never had much of a problem when handling, with the exception of Creobroter pictipennis(they were high strung and had a tendency to dart away, jump, or run more than my other species have).
It seems she has never been handled or never been out of her enclosure before. I don't know how to explain but I see and I feel she's totally in panic when she's not inside. She really try to escape by fear, it's really weird and I'm not doing anthropomorphism, I really see she's terrorised. I have to try to take a video.

In the terra I can touch her, look at the last video, I tease her and she doesn't react. But as soon as she's outside she try to escape, even if she's on the top of the enclosure. I mean, she's quite always hanged on the top so I just open the roof and let her go. I have a false plant hanged on the wall, she runs on it and when she's on the top of the plant she try to run on the wall.

For now I do maintenance with her inside. When I made the definitive decorations (planting plants, adding stones, arranging vines) I made it with her inside...

And tame was not the appropriate word, I don't mean tame as a dog or a cat but tame as teach her I'm not a danger for her.

The plant that I put mine on is on a table without anything near it. I think that they stay there because that is the only place that they can hide. If they leave the plant then they are visible, and therefore vulnerable. Mantids are more comfortable when they feel that they are not visible.

When a mantis is particularly nervous, I will move like a plant in the breeze, it is hard to explain. It is possible, that when I don't move like a creature, they don't even se me as a creature and that may calm them.

Have you tried giving her a prey item when she is out on the plant? She will most likely run or shy away when you try the first couple of times, but maybe she will take it and eat for a few minutes.

I'll try again and again during a few days but it's quite hard for me and for her. She's afraid but I'm a bit too...lol

I know she won't hurt me, I'm more afraid to hurt her :/
I think that you have a wise and healthy anxiety about handling your mantis. :)

I was the same way when I started handling small creatures. There is a possibility that they can end up getting injured if they panic and run or jump away. The issue with large females is if they are plump, their weight causes them to fall harder than a lighter insect. I will handle big girls over soft surfaces, just in case they decide to flee. ;)

Some news from Aluine :)

She had her Christmas, with salmon et foie gras (don't know the english word and I'm too lazy to open the dictionnary...), she seems to enjoy both ^^

eae892b0510911e28a2c22000a9f15d9_7.jpg

She's really fat, I have to be careful, I think I fed her too much...

Some picture I took recently :

What ???

4889ce8048ad11e2b97522000a1f97e9_7.jpg

19c26f184b0411e288bf22000a9f13cb_7.jpg

8359e392507d11e28e7522000a1fbe50_7.jpg

cf3f40f0577511e294a422000a1f9874_7.jpg

561b4fcc578c11e2b38022000a9e070a_7.jpg

3627e88c59d111e2914122000a9f1439_7.jpg

She's just as pretty as ever :) I believe there isnt actually an english word for Foie Gras, thats always what I hear it referred to as. Aluine eats better than I do though lol

Yeah, this year I really want to eat foie gras but not the commercial one. I bought it from an ethic shop, I don't know how to explain, have to check on the dic...lol

Ok... Force-feed, it was the word I was looking for ^^ It's a guy whomade an non force-feed foie gras, it's damn expensive but you can visit him and see the installations, it's a local producer in my town. The gooses are really well treated, they come to see you, they are not in boxes and they are not sick or apathic. It's still foie gras but in a better way :)