Aluine - Sphodromantis lineola

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love your pictures. They are very good. Never saw a close-up of a behind before! The little hairs are funny.

Yes, keep them coming! I love the fish tank videos. In one she looked lke she was poking at the fish. She was telling you which ones she wanted for dinner or breakfast!

Ok, this is sooooooooo weird... I don't know if I need to panic or not...

This afternoon I just took a look into Aluine's terra and I saw that :

http://youtu.be/iDhpZ25n_ZY

How can she lays an ootheca ??? She's a virgin ! She never saw a male !!! I don't even have a male... o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
the link didnt work for me, but female mantis will lay ooths as adults even if they havent been mated. i also learned that they only need to me mated once for multiple ooths to be fertile. i have 4 ooths that im waiting to see are fertile or not from a wild caught female i had, i never saw her mate... so fingers crossed!

Ok, this is sooooooooo weird... I don't know if I need to panic or not...

This afternoon I just took a look into Aluine's terra and I saw that :

http://youtu.be/iDHpZ25n_ZY
(I'm on the iPad, hope the link works)

How can she lays an ootheca ??? She's a virgin ! She never saw a male !!! I don't even have a male... O_

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't quote me on this because i'm a noob, but i'm pretty sure all female mantids lay oothecae regardless if they were mated or not. The difference being that if you didn't mate the female, the ooth wont be fertile.

All females can lay ooths when adult no matter what. They will only be fertile if she is mated. Exceptions are brunneria borealis and miomantis.

ya, you can keep it or just toss it. since gripen confirmed that the species you have, parthogenesis doesnt occur. but id like to see a picture of it, if you dont mind, just so i can see how the ooth looks...

ya, you can keep it or just toss it. since gripen confirmed that the species you have, parthogenesis doesnt occur. but id like to see a picture of it, if you dont mind, just so i can see how the ooth looks...
For now I have this one, I'll take other pictures tomorrow (well, it's already tomorrow here, so later) ^^

8374d21e5ad311e2829822000a9f1487_7.jpg

i've heard of sphodromantis viridis being parthenogenic sometimes so u never know...
There are a couple species where its common and sometimes it just happens at random. Like that one story I was linked a while ago from a guy who said his unmated Taumantis laid a fertile (although very unsuccesful) ooth.

The more you feed her, the more (infertile) ooths she will lay. Unless you breed her, IMO it might be better to feed her moderately, maybe 2 food items every other day, than to feed her as much as she wants.