Aluine - Sphodromantis lineola

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well when I think terrarium, I think pretty, natural substate and live plants etc. But a lot of people keep their mantids in enclosures with no live plants or earthy substrate.

I keep some of mine in net cages, some in exo-Terra's and some in plastic hex's, these enclosures have some twigs fake leaves, paper towel substrate and lots of screen ventilation. It's not super pretty but is more cost effective and I can control their molting and food intake better. Yours is way nicer!!!!!!

Well when I think terrarium, I think pretty, natural substate and live plants etc. But a lot of people keep their mantids in enclosures with no live plants or earthy substrate.

I keep some of mine in net cages, some in exo-Terra's and some in plastic hex's, these enclosures have some twigs fake leaves, paper towel substrate and lots of screen ventilation. It's not super pretty but is more cost effective and I can control their molting and food intake better. Yours is way nicer!!!!!!
Ok, so an enclosure is no a terrarium, it's more like a breeder box or something like that ? Great, I learned a new word ^^

For instance

photo_zps48888b9b.jpg

I have a shelf quite the same, full of small fishtanks for my Betta. The advantage with mantis is the enclosures are not filled with water, it's not as heavy as fishtanks so I think you can use any kind of shelfs :)

Sweet!!! we do think alike ;) , Exo's, deli's, smaller net cages can all get their perfect temperature zones, the higher up the warmer it gets with the lights I installed, 20 watt halogens and small florescent light strips.

DSCF0194.jpg

Geez Nick throw on a shirt, and stop scaring the poor mantids! :lol:
I know right? :clown:

For some reason its the only downloaded pic of one of my shelves I have, and I didn't even take it??? :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
New photo shooting of the cutie today, still inside the terrarium but with my undead (I cross my fingers) D90. I'm really afraid to handle Aluine, not really because scares me but because I'm affraid I can hurt her. So I took advantage of a moment where she had decided to move to make a few pictures :)

The pictures are retouched with Photoforge2 and Photoshop for iPad, my computer screen calibration need to be redone.

I really like the first one, she was conciensiously cleaning her antennas, it's so cute to watch her cleaning herself like a cat :)

photo_12.jpg

photo_13.jpg

photo_14.jpg

photo_15.jpg

photo_16.jpg

photo11.jpg