Blepharopsis Consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agent A, are you off from school today?

I love the b. Mendicas, too. I just wish they turned green before they molted to adults. I'm not seeing any color on my L5/L6 nymphs.
i do have a blueish one. thats it though.

just had a male give me a threat pose! quite amazing and threataning!

Yay!!! Now time to solve another problem

I am sitting on a bed typing into an iPod watching a 4th instar dubia roach bask under an infrared bulb thinking abt hibiscusmile (for obvious reasons) when I should be sound asleep dreaming abt doing all that :eek:

Hey, I moved two of my largest nymphs out of the net enclosure a week or so ago. One of these nymphs is now in an 80 ounce container. It has turned green! It's more of an olive green and not lime green like its mama.

Yesterday I had another ooth hatch. All of my ooths that have hatched have been from the same female. It was her 15th ooth laid, but only 12 of them have hatched. She has laid a total of 17 ooths so far. We'll see if the other two hatch.

!?!

One adult laid 17 ooths...!?!
Yes, she has laid a total of 17 ooths so far. I don't know if she is done yet. She lives in a net by herself so that I can keep track. I was low on bb flies for a while. So, we'll see if she lays another one. It's crazy. My other female's ooths have not hatched, and I don't even bother removing them from the net as the first 5 failed to hatch.Here's my data. I was in Hawaii when # 16 was laid. And I didn't notice # 17 right away because she laid it in a strange spot. The rest have all been on or near the top of the net or on the fake plant.

Female # 1

- molted to adult 9/10/11

- mated 10/6/11

- first ooth laid 10/12/11 did not hatch

- second ooth laid 10/18/11 hatched 11/29/2011 (around 40 nymphs)

- third ooth laid between 10/23- 10/30/11 hatched 12/2/2011 (around 40 - 45 nymphs)

- fourth ooth laid around 11/6/11 hatched 12/16/2011 (sent to Phil on 11/7; "a lot of nymphs")

- mated 11/9/2011

- fifth ooth laid around 11/12 hatched 12/18/2011

- sixth ooth laid 11/19/11 (left in net enclosure) did not hatch

- mated 11/19/11 with the male sharing the enclosure

- seventh ooth laid 11/23/11 hatched 12/26/2011 & 12/27/2011 (62 nymphs!)

- eighth ooth laid 11/30/11 hatched 1/2/2012 (58 nymphs)

- ninth ooth laid 12/4/11 hatched 1/5/2012 (49 nymphs;counted 1 week later)

- tenth ooth laid 12/9/11 hatched 1/13/2012 (42 nymphs)

- eleventh ooth laid 12/17/11 hatched around 1/26/2012 (about 25 nymphs)

- twelfth ooth laid 12/26/11 hatched 2/3/2012 (18 nymphs)

- thirteenth ooth laid 1/2/12

- fourteen ooth laid 1/8/12 hatched 2/17/2012 (41 nymphs)

- fifteenth ooth laid 1/14/12 hatched 2/20/2012 (around 30 nymphs)

- sixteenth ooth laid between 1/21/12 - 1/30/12

- seventeenth ooth laid between 2/2/12 - 2/12/12

Hey, I moved two of my largest nymphs out of the net enclosure a week or so ago. One of these nymphs is now in an 80 ounce container. It has turned green! It's more of an olive green and not lime green like its mama.

Yesterday I had another ooth hatch. All of my ooths that have hatched have been from the same female. It was her 15th ooth laid, but only 12 of them have hatched. She has laid a total of 17 ooths so far. We'll see if the other two hatch.
Good to hear about the green! Do you have your camera back yet? I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want pics :D

She seems to lay more frequently as she ages...

Wonder what my 6 females will do as adults...

Hey it's ironic how peeps say males grow fastest and females can be a hassle, I've found just the opposite

Got L6 females and some males r still at L4 and as cannabalistic as ever...

Good to hear about the green! Do you have your camera back yet? I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want pics :D
Yes, I have my camera back. I'm a member of Canon Professional Services, and the turnaround is great. But I've been spending my mornings photographing deer and swans. I will photograph my mantids sometime this week. It's just a pain to swap heads on the tripod and get set up.Alex, you probably don't want to breed all 6 females, or you'll end up with too many babies!

Yes, I have my camera back. I'm a member of Canon Professional Services, and the turnaround is great. But I've been spending my mornings photographing deer and swans. I will photograph my mantids sometime this week. It's just a pain to swap heads on the tripod and get set up.

Alex, you probably don't want to breed all 6 females, or you'll end up with too many babies!
Good to hear about the camera. I wait in anticipation!There can never be to many blephs...

I just had a male play dead on me. Has anyone else noticed this behavior in this species?