Community Inspiration.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great project idea and looking great. I'll be sure to watch this one ;)

I am curious though does boiling the moss kill it? Did some searching about moss and boiling water and all I found was some instructions on killing it, which doesn't seem likely for your project.
Ive never had an issue with killing it so far, but maybe I'm not boiling it long enough to that point? Since it is a plant I don't see it fit to boil it as long as I would say... Bark or sticks.

Ive also just used extremely hot water (not boiling, scolding.) just to eliminate any pest (worm, any eggs and such...) and it also works just as well. I actually made 10+ terrarium styled 32oz deli cups with moss in them using that method sometime ago now and still have seen no pest. :)

Ive never had an issue with killing it so far, but maybe I'm not boiling it long enough to that point? Since it is a plant I don't see it fit to boil it as long as I would say... Bark or sticks.

Ive also just used extremely hot water (not boiling, scolding.) just to eliminate any pest (worm, any eggs and such...) and it also works just as well. I actually made 10+ terrarium styled 32oz deli cups with moss in them using that method sometime ago now and still have seen no pest. :)
I do the same thing, rinse the moss with scalding water, let it sit in it for a bit, definitely gets rid of the pests or keeps the eggs there from hatching!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice trick, thanks for explaining it. ;) Glad I haven't played with any moss yet without knowing how to get rid of such pests - makes me want to give the moss I found outside a shot in some of my habitats. :D

Will you use the moss the hissers were packed with that I sent you?
I have thought about it, but still haven't made a decision on it yet.. I would hate to strip them of their comfort. I may just leave that moss alone and allow the hissers to keep it... Though it really is some beautiful moss. Idk... That's a tough call.

On a side note, I do have nearly all the ground floor covered in moss, and ive got a location for plenty more. (far off back trails.... Nowhere anyone ever goes. I personally macheted the trail.)

I can easily send you more moss, so the hissers can keep it. They do love it don't they!

I just looked at a cage with a male and female chinese, she's eating him! Oh no!

Anyway, let me know about the moss.

I can easily send you more moss, so the hissers can keep it. They do love it don't they!

I just looked at a cage with a male and female chinese, she's eating him! Oh no!

Anyway, let me know about the moss.
Sorry about your male chinese!

So am I ! Bummer. I kept the door open but he wanted to mate with her again. He will live on in his nymphs.

If you want moss, I have two kinds.

Update on project: Community Inspiration.

I wanted to go ahead and update the status of the build, currently I'm still piecing together the background... But here's what I've completed thus far.

@Sticky: If you like to include some moss I'm sure we can find a spot to place it, really that's up to you... Though you don't have too, you've already donated two Maine rocks :)

So am I ! Bummer. I kept the door open but he wanted to mate with her again. He will live on in his nymphs.

If you want moss, I have two kinds.
That is good that they mated at least once! And yes he will certainly live on!

Update on project: Community Inspiration.

I wanted to go ahead and update the status of the build, currently I'm still piecing together the background... But here's what I've completed thus far.

@Sticky: If you like to include some moss I'm sure we can find a spot to place it, really that's up to you... Though you don't have too, you've already donated two Maine rocks :)
'Mazin!

It looks wonderful! Great job! I will see what moss I can find. It is such magical stuff.

I dont cook mine. And if little mushrooms grow out of it, I like that even more. The rolie polies eat it up so nothing has a chance to grow.

It looks wonderful! Great job! I will see what moss I can find. It is such magical stuff.

I dont cook mine. And if little mushrooms grow out of it, I like that even more. The rolie polies eat it up so nothing has a chance to grow.
Personally I believe moss is what truly sets off any tank. Shoot.... It could just be dirt and sticks, but throw down the green carpet and it turns into a whole new scene.As far as sterilization, well... We all know how some members get all touchy about that stuff. Why you should and shouldn't, do and don'ts, ECT...

I believe some people are just to up tight and act as if mantids are some new and fragile thing. They've been around for millions of years... Surely a few extra bugs, some random weed, or a blade of grass wont kill them. Lol

Honestly I feel the same when it comes to the foreign food topic... But that's getting off topic. :)

Appreciated on the tank feedback thus far Sticky, though I probably will move your Maine rock (left) to a more suitable spot so its more visible.

Oh... And before I call it a night, an update regarding the species going into the build.

L1 Ghost mantid nymphs are making their first leaps in life. Hitting L2!

Some have perished due to it, but not many at all...Also! Ive personally witnessed ZERO cannibalism, though I'm sure a few have had a taste of sibling blood, ive yet to spot it.

I like having ghosts live on small orchids. They dont seem to wander as much as other mantids. A mini orchid would be perfect in there.

Personally I believe moss is what truly sets off any tank. Shoot.... It could just be dirt and sticks, but throw down the green carpet and it turns into a whole new scene.

As far as sterilization, well... We all know how some members get all touchy about that stuff. Why you should and shouldn't, do and don'ts, ECT...

I believe some people are just to up tight and act as if mantids are some new and fragile thing. They've been around for millions of years... Surely a few extra bugs, some random weed, or a blade of grass wont kill them. Lol

Honestly I feel the same when it comes to the foreign food topic... But that's getting off topic. :)

Appreciated on the tank feedback thus far Sticky, though I probably will move your Maine rock (left) to a more suitable spot so its more visible.
Oh yeah moss definitely creates the scene!

I used to think my mantids were at risk all the time cause people were sayin they could die from all these things, like even taking them outside, but i tried it out and ive not experienced any death cause of doing these things.

Lol what kind of foreign foods do ya like?

Oh... And before I call it a night, an update regarding the species going into the build.

L1 Ghost mantid nymphs are making their first leaps in life. Hitting L2!

Some have perished due to it, but not many at all...Also! Ive personally witnessed ZERO cannibalism, though I'm sure a few have had a taste of sibling blood, ive yet to spot it.
I used to keep my ghosts together all the way to subadulthood, the male died but not due to cannibalism, i never had a problem, they truly are a communal species :)

I'm unable to find any "wood-like" plants other than bonsai or the money tree... I don't like either to be honest.

Times getting short, ive got to get the ghosts moved in the build before they decide to start consuming each other...

...not going to lie, I'm getting irritated.

Latest posts