Does this Ootheca look dead?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud

Reaction score
Since I'm new to owning Mantis, I purchased two eggs from Whole Foods a couple weeks ago. Does this egg look dead to those of you with experience? It's a little black with small holes, but nothing oozing. Let me know what you think. Thank you! Bud.

IMG_0174.jpg

Since I'm new to owning Mantis, I purchased two eggs from Whole Foods a couple weeks ago. Does this egg look dead to those of you with experience? It's a little black with small holes, but nothing oozing. Let me know what you think. Thank you! Bud.
Well, I'm relatively new to this as well, but the ootheca we had looked pretty similar to that, so I'd say no... But again, I'm new to it as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first thing I notice is that you have it attached incorrectly. Turn it around. The part you have against the stick should be facing out. You also want the small "flaps" on top to be facing slightly down. It does appear that it could have already hatched. However, to be sure you will just have to wait and see. Those Chinese hatch pretty quickly. Whole foods sells ooths? Never seen any before.

Well first thing I notice is that you have it attached incorrectly. Turn it around. The part you have against the stick should be facing out. You also want the small "flaps" on top to be facing slightly down. It does appear that it could have already hatched. However, to be sure you will just have to wait and see. Those Chinese hatch pretty quickly. Whole foods sells ooths? Never seen any before.
Thanks Rick, I'll turn them around and super glue it to the stick? Yeah, I bought Orcon (Organic Control Inc) two Chinese Mantis Eggs ($10.00). Went back next week to get more and they were gone!

It will still hatch that way, and those appear to be little parasite holes, which is ok, and it does look hatched to me, can u take pic of the front of it?

So the flat top part that looks like wings need to be facing pointing downwards and maybe thats why my other chinese never hatched had that hanging up instead of down!

I have hatched or should say have seen many hatch theirselves from many posistions, many in shipping where they were sent and fell off their perch and still hatch and many that hatch from just being sat down in a container when I thought they were not going to hatch and they still do, babies know how to get out. The ooth could be the other way, but the way it is will not hurt it.

Yes it won't hurt too much but that is not how they are supposed to be.Better to put it in the correct orientation to ensure the best hatching rate. No idea they sold ooths. LIke I said, as far as it being hatched. Sometimes you can tell but often you can't.

I can top that, I never heard of Whole Foods! :tt2:
I will have to lok next time I go. It is a place that sells a lot of organics and things. I like their veggie section when it comes to my herps. Hard to get things like dandelion greens at the local stores.

It will still hatch that way, and those appear to be little parasite holes, which is ok, and it does look hatched to me, can u take pic of the front of it?
Here is a picture of the front (I think this is the front), I re-oriented the egg on the stick. Let me know what you think? I really appreciate everyone's comments! Bud.

IMG_0175.jpg

Here is a picture of the front (I think this is the front), I re-oriented the egg on the stick. Let me know what you think? I really appreciate everyone's comments! Bud.

IMG_0175.jpg
Wow, they are hatching right now! This egg wasn't dead and my other nice looking egg hasn't hatched yet.

Only 4 came out, do they all hatch at one time?
They should yes. However, you have no idea under what conditions the ooth was kept in before you got it. That can be a factor. You have it set up right now. Just angle the top down a bit.

Hi,I bought two ooths from whole foods a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea they sold them (my mom saw them there two years ago). Mine still haven't hatched yet. Good luck with yours!

Did anymore come out? The holes if parasitic would of got most of them, so u might not see anymore. Let us know.
I woke up this morning and approx 30 or more came out, take a look. There are a bunch on the lid which I can't take a picture of. The first batch doesn't seem to want to eat the flies I put in? what do you think?

IMG_0176.jpg

Latest posts