Ghost Enclosure...too big?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantid_mike

Reaction score
I just bought this 5.5 gal glass aquarium. The dimensions are 16" x 8" x 10"H:

192C5C71-CA05-47A3-8FFE-BF8279A48400-924-00000171C47B5D80.jpg

Is this too big to keep L1/L2 ghost nymphs? I understand bigger housing makes it harder for them to access their food, but I don't like all the clutter of having containers all over the place. What do you guys think?

for L1/L2s, yes a little too big...maybe when they are like L4/L5? unless, you are keeping A LOT of L1/L2s and a bunch of ffs then yes I would do it! but like one or two would not be worth it... imo

-Andrew

for L1/L2s, yes a little too big...maybe when they are like L4/L5? unless, you are keeping A LOT of L1/L2s and a bunch of ffs then yes I would do it! but like one or two would not be worth it... imo

-Andrew
Lol i wasn't going to keep one or two in there. I'm thinking of throwing somewhere around 30 ghosts in there. I notice I have a high survival rate when they're in a bigger container. Over the weekend I had about 6 die in a smaller deli cup and no deaths in the larger one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I couldn't imagine one lonely little ghost nymph sitting in their all alone :( ..that is def a good size enclosure then ;) just make sure the ffs can make make it to the top...

All the best,

Andrew

It's a good size for that many, but you'll need bigger if even 20 make it to adult, and of course a new fine mesh lid adaption to keep the ff's in.

Yeah I'm assuming you'll have a different adult enclosure for them and for a netting option you could hot glue some cheese cloth...I'm assuming you already modified for the ffs and post some pics! :)

Haha, I couldn't imagine one lonely little ghost nymph sitting in their all alone :( ..that is def a good size enclosure then ;) just make sure the ffs can make make it to the top...

All the best,

Andrew
LOL, i'm pretty sure ffs can make it to the top of ANY sized viv, those suckers are crazy escape artists.

Yeah I'm assuming you'll have a different adult enclosure for them and for a netting option you could hot glue some cheese cloth...I'm assuming you already modified for the ffs and post some pics! :)
I glued one layer of mesh over the existing mesh, but even then, I noticed 3 or 4 FF that made it through. I'm going to have to glue an extra layer and offset it just right to close any gaps that allow them to push through.

Here's the set-up so far. Any suggestions to add to it would be great:

65701E26-C5C0-4697-A432-7CDFA3C9FCCB-1022-0000017D78510548.jpg

Sphagnum moss to retain moisture and raffia for perching and molting. After a couple more molts, I'm thinking of removing all the raffia and replacing it with sticks.

I wouldn't do it!!! when the L1's molt the L2-3's will hear a diner bell, make some containers out of big juice/drink bottles etc before you do that.

Latest posts