Good Idea or Horse Poo?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock34girl

Reaction score
I use these to start my seedlings. I was putting another one together and started to thing... Man, this thing holds all my plants and is buff and it keeps them toasty. I was wondering what you guys thought about using something like this to help maintain humidity and such? It would fit several enclosures, could fashion a lamp fixture ect. Any thoughts or should I scrap the idea. I mean I was always tought you don't hold in your farts because it travels up to your brain and that's where all your poopie ideas come from. So is this a result of holding too many farts?

B9FECB40-98A8-4E6B-93FB-0D2C67C4C8F6-5572-000003C8B684553F.jpg

Oh Geeze! I didn't even notice that in the picture! I was so impressed with my idea. I was watching Spartacus lol

Hmmm ventilation. The front unzips. You could unroll the entire front. I wonder if you could modify is somehow or if is just not worth it. Hmmmmm.

Perhaps find a way to add screening to parts of it? Or maybe a slow-moving fan on the bottom, pulling out or sucking in air?

I've done it and it works great. I kept a colony of Egyptian mantids in there. They bred like rabbits. Just opening it daily seemed like enough ventilation. But you may want to cut out an area and add some a bit of screen

mantids426-1_zps5751569a.jpg

mantids409-1_zps2e3ba6d6.jpg

mantids422-1_zps89060136.jpg

mantids423-1_zps9e8aeff9.jpg

mantids406-1_zps75b2cd5d.jpg

mantids408-1_zps0fc24554.jpg

mantids407-1_zps652a4d65.jpg

mantids421-1_zpsa7133b42.jpg

Wow! Great! I thought it could work and its good to see someone else tried it and was successful. I paid 24 bucks for mine at homedepot. They are kinda hard to get in the spring but you can order online. I use my veterans card so it might be slightly higher like 26 or so???? If you are a vet don't forget your vet ID for your discount. Woo hoo!

That is so cool! Never seen that setup before. Are Egyptian mantids communal or it just works in a large enclosure? No escapees yet? How do they find their food?

That is so cool! Never seen that setup before. Are Egyptian mantids communal or it just works in a large enclosure? No escapees yet? How do they find their food?
They are somewhat communal but not completely. There were openings on the bottom if I recall and I had to add screen. The downside about any large enclosure is that you have to feed more. One thing I found was that flies tended to cluster in the top corners so I had to elevate the plants so the mantids could get close to the flies. I did this about 8 years ago by the way. I don't think I'd do it again simply due to the fact you have to put in so much food to ensure they find enough. I think I also kept several adult female Heirodula in there after these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's what I was thinking about doing. Just putting the cups in and zipping it up and adding a ventilation section. My plants stay toasty warm in them lol

Latest posts