Help, Fish with Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustin86

Reaction score
So i have a vivarium and i was wanting to put a small goldfish pond underneath the mantis living space so that the mantis could come down to the pond and hunt fish, is this good or bad, it would look cool with the mixture of plants, mantis and fish?

thoughts??

Looks like a dead mantis. Fun at the beginning, but they CANNOT breathe under water. Did you notice in the second video the mantis is headless? The fish must of got it first. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a dead mantis. Fun at the beginning, but they CANNOT breathe under water. Did you notice in the second video the mantis is headless? The fish must of got it first. lol
In the second video that was a kind of true bug and it was not headless.

Yeah...and Santa Clause lives at the North Pole with the Abominable Snowman. What kind of "true bug" is it, if it isn't a headless mantis????
Let me find out. I just started looking...........................................................

Some kind of Water Scorpion? That was in South Korea, I know about those. Ranatra chinensis or Ranatra unicolor? I think Ranatra chinensis because it seems big enough (I know that kind of fish) and Ranatra unicolor seems too small.

So i have a vivarium and i was wanting to put a small goldfish pond underneath the mantis living space so that the mantis could come down to the pond and hunt fish, is this good or bad, it would look cool with the mixture of plants, mantis and fish?

thoughts??
Have fun watching your mantis drown. Plenty of folks on the forum have mantis they'll want to sell you. ;-)

so i decided against the water thing after a few comments, thanks for the input, instead put in dirt sod and plants for him to climb so it look like the outdoor environment, caught some flies he has already devoured three flies. We named him Mr. Green after the hulk.

Some kind of Water Scorpion? That was in South Korea, I know about those. Ranatra chinensis or Ranatra unicolor? I think Ranatra chinensis because it seems big enough (I know that kind of fish) and Ranatra unicolor seems too small.
OK, whatever it is, it isn't a water mantis, is it?????

I have to comment each time I see feeding verterbrates to inverterbrates so here I go again. Feeding live verterbrates to other animals is illegal thankfully in the UK. Yep that includes mice to snakes, we feed them already dead. In particular the way a mantis eats the verterbrate, mouse, fish, bird, it is not a swift end, Regardless of what goes on in the wild it is not nessesary to cause suffering yourself.

Have fun watching your mantis drown. Plenty of folks on the forum have mantis they'll want to sell you. ;-)
Not to mention fish are loaded with bacteria, mainly from the water they live in, they need it but a mantis could become sick and die from it, it's just a silly juvenile thing to do on top of it. <_<

Keep it simple for some people here happy1892, and just say its a "water bug" not a mantis, before they get all grumpy :rolleyes: lol...

I have to comment each time I see feeding verterbrates to inverterbrates so here I go again. Feeding live verterbrates to other animals is illegal thankfully in the UK. Yep that includes mice to snakes, we feed them already dead. In particular the way a mantis eats the verterbrate, mouse, fish, bird, it is not a swift end, Regardless of what goes on in the wild it is not nessesary to cause suffering yourself.
How do they enforce this law?

OK, whatever it is, it isn't a water mantis, is it?????
Oh, I found out that Ranatra chinensis in english is called a Water Mantis but I guess they are not called that much.
<_< Keep it simple for some people here happy1892, and just say its a "water bug" not a mantis, before they get all grumpy :rolleyes: lol...
Haha, really? Better to know as much as you can if it is importent and this might not be to many people.

Latest posts