Honey

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueb4653

Reaction score
I tried some home today on a toothpick it was a big hit they loved it, some had gone onto my finger and one of the mantis was taking it off my finger

super cool

Just don't try putting it on your finger with larger ones because they don't stop at the honey, they will eat your finger :helpsmilie:

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry new here, and only raised mantises a couple times, once when I was in 6th grade (noob), and again now, about to enter college so taking it a bit mroe seriously. Can someone explain what this honey method you're talking about is? Is it just plain honey on a toothpick or your finger or something? Or do you mix it with something else?

I usually start with honey on a toothpick but then I take it away and the mantis starts looking for more, then I switch to my finger. Otherwise they usually just run from your finger.

I usually start with honey on a toothpick but then I take it away and the mantis starts looking for more, then I switch to my finger. Otherwise they usually just run from your finger.
I used to do this same trick with my parakeets to get them to sit on my finger. But with mantises, anytime I'm trying to show them insect squirming in my fingers, they instead prefer to just climb onto my hand and move up my arm lol. My mantids aren't really well behaved!

I only feed them honey during senior care and even then I put it on a toothpick then spray the toothpick with water.

They will eat at pretty much anything edible put to their mouthparts.

I start when they are small. I use a small fine stick. It teaches them to sit on my hand and makes them tamer. I also give them water and beepollen. They all love their "Yum yums.

I didn't knew they like honey, I should try that :)

Any kind of honey works ? I think I have lavender honey, is it ok ?

What quantity ? How often ?
I use regular honey for little Hornet, she loves it!

A little drop, I use a small knife (a little cheese knife) when I feed her it.

I give her a little honey every day, she usually turns her head when she's not interested in something. So for me I do once a day.

I use organic wildflower honey, but as everyone agrees, any honey should do. Nikki laps it off a Q-tip stick (no cotton) or my finger. They love it. Also offer water a bit later (does a high concentrate of sugar make them thirsty as it does us??). Sticky -- Bee Pollen? Oh my! That's one lucky mantis!

I feed honey as a treat not really often. But I also felt like (and I could be totally wrong) when I had one or two that were not doing well it kinda helped put a little pep back in them.

'Digger'

Sticky -- Bee Pollen? Oh my! That's one lucky mantis!

Yes they are! I gave it every day to Sticky and I believe that helped him live longer. Some of my big girls like it but giving them water is hard. They are always on the move as is little dragon. She is a ghost and she does her "Dragon dance" and wont be still!

Martha was the best behaved when it was yumyum time!

Mine had lavender honey from the Senanque Abbaye in south of France, my favourite honey but also a rare one (a friend send it, she lives in Provence), it was a 10* treat...lol

I should try bee pollen.

Honey (and associate products) are really healthy, maybe it's a good option for mantis kept inside.

[Edit : wow the forum does not like French accents on letters...lol]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts