How old is everyone here? etc etc

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually just call my friends mates if I'm taking the piss.

But yeah, normally it's dude, but they tend to get annoye by this (bunch of trendies :evil: )

Cheers, Cameron.

I am 27, I am working on completing a master's degree in entomology (I already have a bachelor's degree in entomology).

I keep too many tarantulas, a few assassins, a few millipedes, and a few mantids(used to keep too many). I also like to read scientific literature (mostly entomology related).

I also love watching ice hockey, GO SABRES!

I believe open university were on about selecting courses to help out budding entomologists one my cousin looked into it, but for now you can still get some good qualifications from them to help you along the way.

Wow, what a team of different people :)

I'm a biotechnology and bioinformatics student at uni in Poznan :) I'm 20, I keep some mantids, crickets and moths. Also interested in entomology and diving.

I'm taking bioinformatics as part of my biochem and genetics course and all I have to say is *respect* to anyone that takes that course! I take it you're using UNIX and the like? I have an essay on that due in soon - expect a few emails! :D

I WOULD have taken entomology as a course but I went to the Natural History Museum in London (anyone that's been to London will know it) and worked behind the scenes - got so bored with the cataloguing side of it that it put me off doing it seriously :(

I'm 29. Finishing up a bachelors in Zoology with emphasis in entomology. Gonna try for a PhD (entomology). Hobbies are Insects, Reptiles, Fish, Pirate Radio, Weight lifting/BBing, and science in general.

17, heading into a field in zoology(primarily herpetology and entemology) as that is by far my favorite subject. I'm interested in almost anything that lives.

I'm taking bioinformatics as part of my biochem and genetics course and all I have to say is *respect* to anyone that takes that course! I take it you're using UNIX and the like? I have an essay on that due in soon - expect a few emails! :D I WOULD have taken entomology as a course but I went to the Natural History Museum in London (anyone that's been to London will know it) and worked behind the scenes - got so bored with the cataloguing side of it that it put me off doing it seriously :(
I work in the insect museum at my university (UC Davis) and I have to agree with you about the cataloging aspects. It can be very boring. I'm lucky though - collection/lab work is only about 50% of my job. The rest is field work :D . I may even get to go on some expeditions to Andes and to PNG in the not too distant future! Can't beat that...

I was just using the search feature and saw this discussion so I think I'll add to it. The whole thing about the "mates" makes me laugh. I guess you just have to have lived in the UK. :D "Ya allright mate?"

I'm 27, married with three young children. My children love holding the mantids! :p

I have a B.A. in Elementary Education and am finishing up an M.A. in Deaf Education. A couple years back I was semi-fluent in British Sign Language while now I'm working on getting through my American Sign Language testing done. I am planning on moving to Tucson this summer.

I have no pets other than my mantids and their prey.

My other hobbies mainly center around alternative energy technologies.

i'm 22 from michigan. graduating with a degree in architecture in 3 weeks.

i have...

two tanks of poison dart frogs (dwarf tincs and leucomelas)

one tank of african cichlids (mostly saulosi)

soon one tank of spiny flower mantis

you can see pics in the link in my signature.

I'm taking bioinformatics as part of my biochem and genetics course and all I have to say is *respect* to anyone that takes that course! I take it you're using UNIX and the like? I have an essay on that due in soon - expect a few emails! :D I WOULD have taken entomology as a course but I went to the Natural History Museum in London (anyone that's been to London will know it) and worked behind the scenes - got so bored with the cataloguing side of it that it put me off doing it seriously :(
i worked there too for a bit! i had to pretty much re-label a whole floors worth of cabinets cos the person before me messed it up. also had to re-organize alot of specimens into new cabinets and whatnot. but at lunch break i'd go down to the mantis cabinets and have a gander, it was brilliant, the diversity of all the specimens. but i wasnt working on the mantis floor, mainly with parasitic hymenoptera. actually looking back it was pretty interesting, i forgot.

oh i can beat that- a big portion of the work i was doing was gluing the polystyrene bases to the boxes they pinned the bugs in... Mainly in the lepidoptera section but got to see the coleoptera etc too - THAT section took up several floors whereas the lepidoptera, mantodea etc took up just one. The job part was kinda boring but the explorations on my breaks were amazing! - I guess at that age/ experience I shouldn't have expected much more...

20, film maker/producer/writer/director/editor (you get the idea) into just about anything that can hold my interest for a while like backpacking, rock climbing, film making, art, billards. Just got into keeping mantids but it seemed like a great thing to do. Use to keep chamelions but I got sick of the hastle that followed with the upkeep.

Latest posts