How to breed house flies: need help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are breeding now but they all escaped! Like 40 are in the house and family is going wild. Its not anybody but my own fault tho! I should have checked for holes...duhhh!

Mantids are having a fly feast!
What are you using to house them?

I keep mine in 10 gal aquariums with panty hose on the top, but you could do the same thing in a 5 gal bucket. You put the waistband over the aquarium or bucket opening, then you can cut the end off of the legs and stick your arms through the leg holes to get in and out of the enclosure without them escaping. You can tie off the legs when you don't need access to prevent escapes. when not in use. The pantyhose have a fine enough mesh that the flies can't escape, but it is still breathable so the humidity won't spike and you can get in and out easy peasy.

What are you using to house them?

I keep mine in 10 gal aquariums with panty hose on the top, but you could do the same thing in a 5 gal bucket. You put the waistband over the aquarium or bucket opening, then you can cut the end off of the legs and stick your arms through the leg holes to get in and out of the enclosure without them escaping. You can tie off the legs when you don't need access to prevent escapes. when not in use. The pantyhose have a fine enough mesh that the flies can't escape, but it is still breathable so the humidity won't spike and you can get in and out easy peasy.
That is ingenious! Thanks so much!

LoL. Good idea!

Prolly a bit hick lookin'. 😂

100% plausible. Chez fly. 
It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done! I go for effective over attractive 😉😊

The panty hose will get runs occasionally and fruit flies will potentially get into your enclosures, fyi. I get Dollar Tree panty hose to keep cost down. Any old bucket would work, as long as you tie off the waistband to keep it in place and prevent further escapes. 

Well, my dad's suggestion was to pick my favorite three and fiberglass resin them to sorta keep them so I can look at them and kill the rest but I replied I would rather find them new homes. He said if I could sell them and make my money back then do it but he thinks they are a waste of time energy and money.

He said I shoud get some in the summer when I can find outside bugs like I did this summer. It is such a challenge these winters are!

@Prayingmantisqueen that's very sweet.

I'm actually touched! 😪

You'll do well selling them off for some return on what you've spent.

I'm surprised he wouldn't just let you scale back. Keep a few. A cricket each per day? Some kind of worm? Not expensive. 

But, raising your own feeders is a bigger deal than keeping a mantis in a jar LoL. 

Hope things work out. 😪

Yeah. If I had a local cricket person (winter came and they all shut down) it would be loads better. Oh well.. I probably could get away with one but its also so hard while traveling and I plan to be gone alot of Dec. and January... It will all work out. No offers yet on anybody so we'll see.

I'm surprised he wouldn't just let you scale back. Keep a few. A cricket each per day? Some kind of worm? Not expensive. 
He's trying to help me save my money...😂

He said if they were making money right now it would be good because I could put it back into the project. 

Ya, I wish everyone understood that keeping mantids is not just about making money! 

- MantisGirl13