Idolo breeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brancsikia339

Reaction score
My idolos are now at breeding age, but i cant seem to get them to mate. I tried Rick's method (taking them out of the cage and then trying to coax them to mate) and at first it nearly worked but then my male got distracted. I dont want to leave the male and female in the same cage. Anyone have ideas?

My idolos are now at breeding age, but i cant seem to get them to mate. I tried Rick's method (taking them out of the cage and then trying to coax them to mate) and at first it nearly worked but then my male got distracted. I dont want to leave the male and female in the same cage. Anyone have ideas?
increase the temp to about 100 degrees

Maybe give them more time? I have heard increasing temps and humidity can work with these.

When you PM'ed me I explained what you need to do, but they are a tricky species, separate them and put the male in a far part of the house for a few day's to stop the pheromone saturation, then try what I told you again, there's many people that have pulled their hair out :( trying to mate these...

Even Yen told me they drove him crazy when he was breeding Idolo a while back, and he won't rush back into trying to breed them again anytime too soon.

When you PM'ed me I explained what you need to do, but they are a tricky species, separate them and put the male in a far part of the house for a few day's to stop the pheromone saturation, then try what I told you again, there's many people that have pulled their hair out :( trying to mate these...

Even Yen told me they drove him crazy when he was breeding Idolo a while back, and he won't rush back into trying to breed them again anytime too soon.
I tried your method. Not sure if it's working. I will try separating them for a while. Thanks for the advice :)

Keep in mind you can do everything right and still no mating will happen with these, it's the nature of the beast. It may never work, sorry man, all you can do is keep trying, but give them a break for now is my best advice.

Note: In all my day's with Idolo I've not once had a adult eat another adult, male or female and they were together for day's on end sometimes, just make sure they're well fed.

I dunno I would try the high temps(95-100+) thing with a big dip in temp at some point in time(to 80-90), as my male only shows interest when it is 80-90, above that they get too territorial with eachother. Also I am a believer in the "separation theory" keeping him from getting to much of the pheromone saturation.

my 2 cents

Also I am still new, and i do think i did get a little lucky with a very horny little boy. But every time I have witnessed them connected, the temps where lower then normal for them. Probably just a coincidence, but i think it is worth trying if you haven't already.

Also my male and female spend 90% of their time in the same enclosure, and they rarely ever pay attention to eachother unless one tries to climb on the other. even then there is rarely any aggression showed on either side. They seemed way more combative when they where nymphs, in my experiences.

My male is old and spindly. He can barely climb and is very weak. He just won't mate!!!!!!! this has gotten ridiculous. He is so weak and spindly he can't stand in my hand

When they're that old and not moving normally, sometimes there's nothing you can do? But that doesn't mean defeat! Put a ad out for one, and no I don't have one for grabs, sorry...