Idolo Ooth from Villosa

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
[SIZE=18pt]I got a Ooth from him he pmed me well and the Ooth came it looks good every thing went well so far now let see if thay hatch :) .[/SIZE]

So I was looking @ this Ooth in the light and it looks like it was cut opened or dose Idolos lay down the foam 1st then center ooth ( the part with the eggs inside) then the outer foam?, also it looks like there isn't anything inside IDK about this. And all the pic are to big to post trying to get them to size down.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt]I got a Ooth from him he pmed me well and the Ooth came it looks good every thing went well so far now let see if thay hatch :) .[/SIZE] So I was looking @ this Ooth in the light and it looks like it was cut opened or dose Idolos lay down the foam 1st then center ooth ( the part with the eggs inside) then the outer foam?, also it looks like there isn't anything inside IDK about this. And all the pic are to big to post trying to get them to size down.

[SIZE=14pt]Now I was looking @ this Ooth "ha I say ha 2 it being a Ooth" ya I was looking @ it this morning and, you know the egg test shining light through it just looking then it was clear there isnt anything in side "yes there isnt anything inside I say" so I cut a little bit off nothing there just a line, then I cut a bit more then, a little more then, A little bit more till there are 6 pices of foam yes just foam wow I fill odd.[/SIZE]

You can't candle a mantis ooth like you can some bird and reptile eggs.

You can't candle a mantis ooth like you can some bird and reptile eggs.
[SIZE=14pt]Well if there is a large mass of foam for the outer Ooth you do see the differnt, there is a darker mass in there the iner Ooth, mind you you cant see any eggs or ever know if its going to hatch but if the light shins clear through the Ooth there is somthing worng "it was just like looking through some paper held up to a light, A real Ooth I'v seen light through parts of the outer Ooth and it wasnt @ all as clear as this fake ok.[/SIZE]

Well your the one who bought it so just deal with it and be done with it and maybe you wont make that same mistake twice by ordering that species ever again!

Well your the one who bought it so just deal with it and be done with it and maybe you wont make that same mistake twice by ordering that species ever again!
Just because someone has a bad experience with a species of mantis doesn't mean all should be given up!

Just leave the ooths be. They do not look fake to me. Just continue to incubate them and see what happens before you start accusing him of scamming you. How long have they been in incubation?

Rick said:
There will be eggs inside no matter what so I don't see the point.
[SIZE=14pt]Dosent any one read I cut it open there isnt anything inside there its all foam I think "Insulation foam" that is what it looks like I am going to take pics I need to find my cable to hook up my cam so I can post them. There is a line all the way through each of the 6 slices, no eggs no iner Ooth at all that is my point.[/SIZE]

By the way I also posted this in Villosa breeders feed back so I thought I had put in this post that I think it is "Insulation foam" by the way I dont know who had made this fake Ooth.

[SIZE=14pt]Maybe this will help[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]now look for the line its lighter then the rest of the ooth its almost white it starts in the mid left of the pic to below the mid right. If our photo shop was on this computter I would point it out better but its not sorry.[/SIZE]

Ok now on this pic look @ the left 1/4 of the way up from the bottom to the right mid theres is the line, anyone see it?

Ark Blue, u sent me the pictures and I told you the ooth is fine, there is no one that can make a fake ooth, if you really doubt it, send it to me and I will tell u for sure, but really it is fine, and a mantis will not be able to lay an ooth without eggs. The ooth may of hatched or may not be fertile, but it will have eggs and as Rick said and I have said before, candleing an ooth is not like candleing an egg, an egg that is fertile will have a spider looking lines running around it, an ooth will not. Plus you have not had it long enough for it to hatch.

Dosent any one read I cut it open there isnt anything inside there its all foam I think "Insulation foam" that is what it looks like I am going to take pics I need to find my cable to hook up my cam so I can post them. There is a line all the way through each of the 6 slices, no eggs no iner Ooth at all that is my point.By the way I also posted this in Villosa breeders feed back so I thought I had put in this post that I think it is "Insulation foam" by the way I dont know who had made this fake Ooth.
I've read what you're typing from the feedback thread, but I think we'd all understand better if you put up the pictures of the cut-up ooth.

[SIZE=14pt]Dosent any one read I cut it open there isnt anything inside there its all foam I think "Insulation foam" that is what it looks like I am going to take pics I need to find my cable to hook up my cam so I can post them. There is a line all the way through each of the 6 slices, no eggs no iner Ooth at all that is my point.[/SIZE]By the way I also posted this in Villosa breeders feed back so I thought I had put in this post that I think it is "Insulation foam" by the way I dont know who had made this fake Ooth.

[SIZE=14pt]Maybe this will help[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]now look for the line its lighter then the rest of the ooth its almost white it starts in the mid left of the pic to below the mid right. If our photo shop was on this computter I would point it out better but its not sorry.[/SIZE]

Ok now on this pic look @ the left 1/4 of the way up from the bottom to the right mid theres is the line, anyone see it?
Yes I do read. I read it more than once. It isn't easy to read. So you think someone made a fake ooth? That would be a new one. . Some species make ooths that have a lot of foam. I have seen some that are almost all foam.

Yes I do read. I read it more than once. It isn't easy to read. So you think someone made a fake ooth? That would be a new one. . Some species make ooths that have a lot of foam. I have seen some that are almost all foam.
What he's saying is that it's a real ooth, surgically cut in half with the 'core' of eggs removed. Right?

What he's saying is that it's a real ooth, surgically cut in half with the 'core' of eggs removed. Right?
I really don't know. I was thinking he thought it was just insulation foam made to look like an ooth.

Ah, good that you explained. I ceased to read his stuff, as it was either blue, or without any grammar rules, or both.

so can anyone confirm that its an idolo ooth or not? does it look like an idolo ooth? honestly it looks like it could be a piece of insulation foam squirted onto a twig. i dont know why you think that would be impossible to do, bec. he prob got scammed. just gotta learn from it.

well if its fake then he will prob have to try not to deal with that dealer any more and just dont worry bout obtaining that species unless he knows the person or persons who raise them and know exactly what their doing and how to do it!

After having seen over hundredandfifty or so Idolomantis ooths (I started collecting them a while ago, one day I can use them as isolation in a parcel instead of corn chips.... :lol: ) I have to admit that that one looks strange. However, that doesn't have to mean nothing, as some females tend to produce bizarre ooths. What makes me scratching my head is the lack of a hatching zone, at least it isn't obvious from the pics.

It would be a whole new quality of fraud if fake ooths are produced; on the other hand maybe it will diminish the collecting of WC ones, so it's ok for me. I don't think, though, that the ooth was cut in half to remove the eggs; this would be rather obvious, particularly since you can kill the eggs with other methods which don't show up immediately.

By the way, Idolomantis ooths are rather foamy, with a thick outer layer.

Latest posts