Idolo Ooth from Villosa

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Ian:

I think "innocent jokes" was a reference to this:

(and no this isn't meant to trigger another discussion on that one)

Although some jokes are indeed a bit obscure, some aren't.

nothing stops such scammers either signing up a new account
An IP ban does, as long as that person doesn't know how to get a new one.

I agree with Ian that it's not the admins faults I trust they have gone over things like this amongst themselves there's only so much they can do about people who scam.

An IP ban does, as long as that person doesn't know how to get a new one.
No it doesn't there are a few ways around an IP ban you can't permanently ban someone it's impossible unless you make some really strict registration even then they could probably get through at some point.

No it doesn't there are a few ways around an IP ban you can't permanently ban someone it's impossible unless you make some really strict registration even then they could probably get through at some point.
Exactly. A simple unplug and replug of your router will change your IP - and someone thats experienced with scamming will certainly know this. Then there are proxy sites, etc...

Anyway, let's hope people will be slightly more clued up when it comes to buying, now this kind of thing has surfaced. Spending 5 minutes asking for past sales and references could probably save a few select people a lot of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
And maybe not buying WC oothecae of Idolomantis and other difficult species

;o

How about not buying WC oothecae at all?CB is much more reliable
Well, I got 'caught' with the CB ghost ooth thread...

Ian is right. Admins are not responsible for policing the transactions.

I know the risk of doing business on the 'net. That's the main reason I use Paypal. I have a case open with them and will not close it until I get what appear to be real, viable ooths.

For those blaming ArkBlue for this situation: Shame on you. If you've never been scammed, you're just lucky, or are not much of a consumer. I am glad he shared the experience...we all should be.

I knew it was a risk based on the feedback. I take risks. Criticize ME for that openly and I'll honestly rip you a new one.

Well, I got 'caught' with the CB ghost ooth thread...Ian is right. Admins are not responsible for policing the transactions.

I know the risk of doing business on the 'net. That's the main reason I use Paypal. I have a case open with them and will not close it until I get what appear to be real, viable ooths.

For those blaming ArkBlue for this situation: Shame on you. If you've never been scammed, you're just lucky, or are not much of a consumer. I am glad he shared the experience...we all should be.

I knew it was a risk based on the feedback. I take risks. Criticize ME for that openly and I'll honestly rip you a new one.
I never said it was completely reliable.

Besides i was talking about the condition of the ooth itself.

I agree with Kamakiri on this one, and a good thing too, since my old one has been serving me well for many years and I don't want to change it.

When Villosa offered wild-caught ooths for sale, he wasn't scamming anyone. There has been more than enough information on this thread for anyone to know the risk. He promised to replace any ooth that didn't hatch, but it is obvious that by having one dead ooth replaced by another is not much of a "guarantee."

When you buy stock from your broker who promises that it is "seriously undervalued" and the company folds two weeks later, you don't go around saying that your broker is a scammer, though he might be; you know that you were gambling and this time you lost. I am quite sure that there were experienced breeders who knew that the odds were against them but bought one or two anyway, "just on the off chance." It is not a coincidence, though, that sellers of these ooths never offer nymphs from the ooths that they have hatched themselves.

I am amused to see that the most vituperative critics of the practice of buying WC ooths are those who breed the species themselves. What a coincidence! To extend that, though, to a celebration of a member like ArkBlue being scammed shows a degree of contumely that says more about the speaker than the object of such remarks. It also has the unfortunate effect of discouraging others who either bought an infertile ooth or were outright scammed with a fake one from reporting the fact in this forum. Well done, ArkBlue.

To hold the admins responsible for such sales/dealers is too ridiculous to bear discussion except to point out that Frey was recently deemed a scammer with hands of the wrong sex before his/her fertile ooths arrived in the U.S.

If I had bought a WC ooth, it would still be sitting quietly in its hatching chamber, but no, I had to get some ooths from Hibiscusmile and now I have to go and put a bunch of tiny boxer nymphs into their new home, and set up more ff pots. Work, work, grumble, grumble. :D

Latest posts