I'm new here-83 gallon tank LOL

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giga

Reaction score
With the surge of vivarium i've been seeing I had to take the plunge. This guy is 20x20x48" and with the stand it stand over 6 feet tall-all DIY. Gonna stuff this thing with micro orchids,bromileads, mosses, fern and the like- It gonna be shaped like a tree top kind of look. Gonna get the rest of the glass this weekend

dsc02466ze.jpg

dsc02469we.jpg

dsc02467wx.jpg

I was hopeing to keep a few ghost mantis in here there entire life? I seem to find different thing about keeping them together?anyone shed some light on this with a tank this big?

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be like in nature but feeding would be expensive. A lot of food will be needed. You could keep about 50 ghosts in there. ( I think)

They arent that cannibalistic but males will most likely be eaten.

feeding won't be that big a deal as I can get food ez enough. So if I put like 10 in there all the males will get eaten?

Glad you found your way here. In my opinion with that much space the males might not get munched but you never know. Same sex groups work very well and you could have A dozen females in there easily and they'd live a long time for you

Looking stunning already, I can't wait to see the finished product on the set up. Ghosts would be a blast in this set up because they love to hide and use offered cage decour so it would be fun locating everyone everyday and seeing how they work with the environment. I am not familar with communal set ups myself so I am afraid I can not offer advice on that.

That looks awesome how did you make the "dirt"? Can't wait to see it finished with some mantids in there.

You can keep mantids in there but a lot of food will need to be added to ensure they find enough in that large space.

That lloks dope man! Just load the tank up with food, you can do Ghosts or Idolos no problem communally, but there may be a small amount of cannibalism....

I'm going to be drilling a hole in the glass on the bottom and then that will connected to a small tank. The small tank will contain fly pupa in there so a constant supply of flys will go into the tank.plus I'll feed manually too. This was originally for dart frogs but the fact that the can he poisonous, I switched to mantids. It has a mistking misting system too so that will keep the humidity around 60-80% depending on the time of day. I want a small mantis and ghost seem to be the best bet for a tropical environment. I also thought about

Acontiothespis multicolor but I can't seem to find any info on them.

misting system

dsc02502w.jpg

here's one of the micro orchids-Pleurothallis grobyi-Also have 10 different species of broms(bromileads) not pictured yet

dsc02470tx.jpg

some moss

dsc02494be.jpg

Neo. fireball-this guy will turn completely red now that it's in light-all these guys have been sitting in front of a window lol

Neo. "Mo pepper"- most bromileads have funny names

Neo. Ampullacea-not sure what color pattern this will take on as it still needs to color up

Neo. "Not domino" -yellowish spiky leaves and pink tips

Neo. maculata-tall skinny and darker color but still need to color up

Korean rock fern

couple unkown orchids

20120401185122.jpg

20120401185137.jpg

local nursery and I couldn't turn down even though it's a little large compared to other ones I have on a list for order

20120401185237.jpg

20120401185246.jpg

Then I did this-dropped a drill through the bottom

dsc02503i.jpg

So now i'm in repair mode and it should be repaired this weekend or so-more to come

Dart frogs kept in captivity aren't poisonous, only wild ones are fyi,.... The flora looks superb man!

That's why said a chance, I have a newborn due in like 8 month, not sure I want to take that chance. Plus mantis are really cool

Interesting setup. I don't know if mantids would be the best thing to put in there. I would say start the mantids in delicups than put them all in the cage once they hit presub. I would do this because the experience I have had with large communal setups is that if they are still feeding on FF when you put them in the cage you will lose about half to starvation. The pupae underneath idea is very cool! Good luck!

I think the tank will work great if you make some fly feeder stations. like a cap full of honey/bee pollen suction cupped to the glass. this will concentrate the flying foods, and as such, make it easier for your ghosties to find food

check what I just got!

Java Plum

dsc02530r.jpg

Neoregelia Dungsiana-this guy is tiny that's my fingertip in the pic

dsc02531pl.jpg

Neoregelia Babe

dsc02532xl.jpg

Neoregelia Chiquita Linda and Domino Clone

dsc02533sb.jpg

Neoregelia Tar Baby

dsc02534c.jpg

Latest posts