Incubation Success...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. How long usually for creo ooths to hatch?
My first time breeding them it took only 4 weeks. I'm still waiting on the first ooth that this girl laid and it's been 4 weeks and 5 days so far. I thought it would hatch on May 4th.

How long has your ooth been incubating?

My first time breeding them it took only 4 weeks. I'm still waiting on the first ooth that this girl laid and it's been 4 weeks and 5 days so far. I thought it would hatch on May 4th.

How long has your ooth been incubating?
The 22 of march... I wonder if my male didn' t finish the job, lol. They mated 2 times but he was off in 4 hours. Oh well, I will just keep hoping :)

The 22 of march... I wonder if my male didn' t finish the job, lol. They mated 2 times but he was off in 4 hours. Oh well, I will just keep hoping :)
That's a while back ago. I've had some random ooths hatch really late on me before though. Keep it incubating. :)

5-10-13: Queen Amidala was introduced to a new male last night. They connected this morning and it lasted about 4 hours. Hopefully the mating coinciding with Mother's Day will make the magic happen this time :stuart: :

queen_amidala_mating_zpsfb096b87.jpg

5-12-13: Today I had a hatch exactly on the day it was supposed to based on what Damian told me. Total of 17 Ephestiasula pictipes (purple boxer) nymphs. I thought blepharopsis mendica nymphs were tiny but these guys are on a whole different scale of tiny. They're like little specks in the deli cup:

boxers_zps61f5293b.jpg

5-12-13: Today I had a hatch exactly on the day it was supposed to based on what Damian told me. Total of 17 Ephestiasula pictipes (purple boxer) nymphs. I thought blepharopsis mendica nymphs were tiny but these guys are on a whole different scale of tiny. They're like little specks in the deli cup:

boxers_zps61f5293b.jpg
Congratz Mike lucky you ... maybe when u breed this you can share to me haha .

Congratz Mike lucky you ... maybe when u breed this you can share to me haha .
I can definitely pass these on to you if i get some ooths. I owe you!!

btw, the griffinii ooth that you sent me should hatch any day now. Last night i had a dream that it hatched but my Bipapilla female was eating them all as they oozed out the ooth. :ninja:

I can definitely pass these on to you if i get some ooths. I owe you!!

btw, the griffinii ooth that you sent me should hatch any day now. Last night i had a dream that it hatched but my Bipapilla female was eating them all as they oozed out the ooth. :ninja:
lol Good luck hope u have happy hatching . Ya sucks I'm wait for some of my ooth to hatch too ...

4-16-13: I had more Stagmomantis nymphs hatch yesterday from a different ooth. 11 nymphs total:

stagmo_hatch3_zps02e2c4fb.jpg

Here's a pic of my bleph nymphs. They sit still all day now:

bleph_nymphs_zpsf5a7782d.jpg

..and a couple sybilla pretiosa nymphs:

sybilla_nymphs_zpsdba6c184.jpg
I just happened to notice something really neat. If you look at the nymphs on the top, or on the lid or whatever, in the middle picture, you will see that amongst all of those little black nymphs is ONE, just ONE, little green one. The little guy stands out from the crowd. I'd be plucking it out and treating it all special! LOL ;) :D

Update 5/2/13: My second hymenopus coronatus girl has molted to adult:

2F66DBFB-9FD8-446D-9137-6C568D807241-31567-00000E1DCCC92493_zps3d63ebb9.jpg

Other updates:

-All Wahlbergii nymphs have molted to L3

-Some of my Acromantis Formosana appear to have molted to L3 as well. These are probably the ones that molted really early to L2.

-Oldest ghost colony have all molted to L4
She's not standing on her legs. Is that normal? I'm not familiar with this species at all so I don't know what's normal and what isn't. In some species that is a sign of a mis-molt, so I gotta ask. (Just trying to learn something here. :smarty: )

Got some roaches from Alex on Saturday and I placed them in the lion's den (h. bipapilla girl). She's crazy fat now and continues to prey on them. No shame:

fat_bipapilla2_zps91dc3fd6.jpg
I've read that some species will over eat and actually do so to the extent that their abdomen splits. This generally results in death for the mantis as they end up often developing an infection from the open wound. So, from what I've read, I would be careful to not let her over eat too much. I'm no expert, but have read about this happening on more than one occasion.

I've read that some species will over eat and actually do so to the extent that their abdomen splits. This generally results in death for the mantis as they end up often developing an infection from the open wound. So, from what I've read, I would be careful to not let her over eat too much. I'm no expert, but have read about this happening on more than one occasion.
I usually pull the mantids from a feeder-filled container if they're over-eating. Haven't had any type of death related to that...yet.

The 3rd H. Bipapilla ooth hatched today, exactly 45 days after it was laid. I'll post pics and nymph count later. I thought her ooths were duds all this time!! :)