Incubation Success...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention and post a pic of my creo's 2nd ooth. It was laid on 4/19/13 but looked rather sloppy. She looks like she'll be laying her 3rd within the next couple of days. I'll post a pic of her 2nd ooth tonight.

My blepharopsis nymphs are beginning to molt to L2 today. They don't look much bigger than L1s so it's really hard to distinguish the two.

All my Acromantis Formosana nymphs are L2 and I haven't had a single fatality with that species yet. Very hardy so far.

I received some L2 Wahlbergii's recently. They're so awesome from L1 all the way to adult. Here's a pic of one of them:

b8d84db8b04c11e2b88822000a9f1947_7_zps3226e1f6.jpg

My Creo Brandy laid some ooths spotty like that too. I am anxious to see if they hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
All my Pseudoharpax Viriscens have molted to L3 and they're still very tiny (photo was taken with my iphone so it's a bit out of focus):

159B35E1-AB78-442B-ABB8-A39AECA666AF-26885-00000C098D12E843_zps412a3a6d.jpg

Update 5/2/13: My second hymenopus coronatus girl has molted to adult:

2F66DBFB-9FD8-446D-9137-6C568D807241-31567-00000E1DCCC92493_zps3d63ebb9.jpg

Other updates:

-All Wahlbergii nymphs have molted to L3

-Some of my Acromantis Formosana appear to have molted to L3 as well. These are probably the ones that molted really early to L2.

-Oldest ghost colony have all molted to L4

very cool. I just had a S. Carolina ooth hatch i had to take inside cause we had to waterseal our fence it was laid on. Over 40 nymphs,lol. They will go back in the yard At L2.

Got some roaches from Alex on Saturday and I placed them in the lion's den (h. bipapilla girl). She's crazy fat now and continues to prey on them. No shame:

fat_bipapilla2_zps91dc3fd6.jpg

Orchid male has been on her back since yesterday afternoon and still no connection. He seems a bit too small for this lady:

orchids_mating_zps2a35ca60.jpg

Creo girl laid her 3rd ooth on 5-4-13.

5-8-13: youngest orchid gal has molted to sub-adult.

-pseudoharpax viriscens are beginning to molt to L4

Quick story: Shortly before my trip to the Philippines in January my dad found a limbata at his house in OC and brought it over to his other house in Hawthorne, CA. I told him I wouldn't be able to pick it up since I was planning to leave and looking for sitters for my mantids instead. He released the limbata female into the backyard in Hawthorne which is lush with all kinds of shrubs and plants (very poorly manicured yard). Anyway, today I brought my creo girl over since I wasn't able to feed her for the last two days and figured she could find something out in the wild backyard. I placed her on some flowers and proceeded to get my camera to take a few shots. I felt something crawling on my hand and it turned out to be an L1 limbata nymph. I know it has to be limbata because never in my entire life have I seen a mantis in that area. The female my dad must have found was probably gravid and laid a few ooths in that backyard. Pretty cool I think to move some mantids 25 miles north. Plenty of bugs for them to eat in that backyard.

Anyway, here's the shots of my creo girl in the "wild."

creo_shoot1_zpse3868640.jpg

creo_shoot4_zps77739541.jpg

creo_shoot3_zps14f7c642.jpg

creo_shoot2_zpsee976e7d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: