Incubation Success...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. You guys are making me nervous. I'm incubating 8 different ooths right now and most of them are due to hatch during the first 2 weeks of May.

Albert, I showed my gf the ooth you sent me and she asked me how many nymphs I expect out of it since its so big. I looked her in the eye and said about 40 nymphs. Lol
U kill me mike hahaha .. try 40 x 5 lol .....

She's almost 6 weeks old:

hymenopus_babe_zps923c84e9.jpg

4-24-13: Thanks to all these Stagmomantis Californica ooths constantly hatching, my thread is beginning to get a bit monotonous. I don't even bother counting the nymphs for this species anymore because a single ooth can have 2-5 hatch dates from my experience. Anyway, here's a new ooth that hatched this morning:

Stagmo_hatch6_zps9048aed1.jpg

A little over a week ago I FINALLY bought a 1 lb bag of Repashy so that I can try my hand at making some FF cultures. Looks like my first attempt is going well so far (It's been one week and 2 days since I made it):

melano_culture_zpsa10703fe.jpg

I also made one for Hydei on the 4/18th, but no sign of any maggots or pupae yet. I'm assuming it takes more time?

Keep it up Bro .. Updating till they grow to Adults and Mating laying Ooth then we can close this post lol ...
Lol I will. It would be nice if I can have a macro lens to document all my mantids. Kinda sucks using the lenses that I have. Send me yours!!! :stuart:

Is that the same female that sucked down the male I sent you like a milkshake?
Yep, that's the culprit right there. She has the strongest jaw that I've seen on a mantid. There have been times that I've pushed her with a basswood stick and she turned around and bit it. I could hear the wood crack when she took a bite. :wacko:

Yep, that's the culprit right there. She has the strongest jaw that I've seen on a mantid. There have been times that I've pushed her with a basswood stick and she turned around and bit it. I could hear the wood crack when she took a bite. :wacko:
Nice hopefully she's fertile!

LOL. You guys are making me nervous. I'm incubating 8 different ooths right now and most of them are due to hatch during the first 2 weeks of May.

Albert, I showed my gf the ooth you sent me and she asked me how many nymphs I expect out of it since its so big. I looked her in the eye and said about 40 nymphs. Lol
So she already knows to times that by at least two.

4-24-13: Thanks to all these Stagmomantis Californica ooths constantly hatching, my thread is beginning to get a bit monotonous. I don't even bother counting the nymphs for this species anymore because a single ooth can have 2-5 hatch dates from my experience. Anyway, here's a new ooth that hatched this morning:

Stagmo_hatch6_zps9048aed1.jpg

A little over a week ago I FINALLY bought a 1 lb bag of Repashy so that I can try my hand at making some FF cultures. Looks like my first attempt is going well so far (It's been one week and 2 days since I made it):

melano_culture_zpsa10703fe.jpg

I also made one for Hydei on the 4/18th, but no sign of any maggots or pupae yet. I'm assuming it takes more time?
Mike.... does the GF count the FF as an individual bug? That can be disasertous once these really get booming. You might just have to pack her bags and change the locks.