Internal parasites

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Some of you may recall me telling the story of when I was a kid and I would find immature carolina mantids late in the season. These would always have a large larva or maggot inside of them. Well lately I have found a few immature carolina mantids but their abdomens were not fat but instead they were skinny. The carolina mantids around here are laying ooths this time of year but these are still a couple molts away from adult.

I found some this past weekend and one died yesterday. I noticed today that the abdomen was split open just like one I had found dead in the wild. I then noticed several small maggots crawling around in the bottom of the enclosure. These came from this mantis and they explain the theory I have had that it was internal parasites causing their late development. I have a couple more and I am waiting to see if they have the same issue that may also explain their late stage of life this late in the season.

P9230017.jpg

P9230018.jpg

P9230019.jpg

P9230021.jpg

This my also explain this mantis. This one was adult though.

DSCF7120.jpg

Very interesting. I wonder at what stage they were parisitized... in the ooth or after? Be sure to let us know what the adult parasites turn out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
could be some kind of wasp that knocks the mantis out then lays eggs inside them.Kind of like those wasps that grab spiders or other insects and lay eggs on them and then the larvae or maggots feast on the host organism!

My guess is eggs are ingested from prey.

I have seen this also. Or at least something similar. I have in a near by park, a population of Tenodera angustipennis. I have come across males that are pre-subadult at this time of year, whitch of course is stange at this time of year, because they should be adults already. They acted like normal mantids except for the fact there abdomins were extreamely bloated. I never actully saw the maggot burst from the abdomin but when i would look into the cup the mantis would be dead or dying and there would be a redish colored pupea on the floor of the cup. I always missed the maggott's emergence from the mantid. I do think mine are different from yours rick. There was only one maggott per mantid with mine, and they were only male nymphs that seemed infected. I did try and hatch some of the pupea, but they never hatched. Hold onto yours rick and see what species of fly they turn into?

Like what others have said above, keep them and find out what they turn out to be. I want to know what this fly or wasp is. About the only parasites I know of are tiny wasps that lays it's eggs alongside with the female mantid - where the wasp grubs would hatch out and feed on the eggs before the mantids hatch.

I have seen this also. Or at least something similar. I have in a near by park, a population of Tenodera angustipennis. I have come across males that are pre-subadult at this time of year, whitch of course is stange at this time of year, because they should be adults already. They acted like normal mantids except for the fact there abdomins were extreamely bloated. I never actully saw the maggot burst from the abdomin but when i would look into the cup the mantis would be dead or dying and there would be a redish colored pupea on the floor of the cup. I always missed the maggott's emergence from the mantid. I do think mine are different from yours rick. There was only one maggott per mantid with mine, and they were only male nymphs that seemed infected. I did try and hatch some of the pupea, but they never hatched. Hold onto yours rick and see what species of fly they turn into?
That is what I saw years ago. This is different. The mantids are a little plump but not bloated looking like those were.

p.s. I am interested in some angustipennis if you can get em.

That is what I saw years ago. This is different. The mantids are a little plump but not bloated looking like those were. p.s. I am interested in some angustipennis if you can get em.
I plan on going to the park one day this weekend. This is the exact time of year i find the mantids with the parasites. I should have no problem finding some narrow-winged for you. :)

I plan on going to the park one day this weekend. This is the exact time of year i find the mantids with the parasites. I should have no problem finding some narrow-winged for you. :)
Let me know. A gravid female or an ooth would be nice. No parasites though. ;)

Funny, I too saw a subadult native female in the wild with the same problem not too long ago.

So, you guys really think fly eggs can incubate and hatch from inside the mantis if a gravid female fly was eaten (along with her eggs)?

Let me know. A gravid female or an ooth would be nice. No parasites though. ;)
Don't worry rick! I'll do my best! :)

Funny, I too saw a subadult native female in the wild with the same problem not too long ago.So, you guys really think fly eggs can incubate and hatch from inside the mantis if a gravid female fly was eaten (along with her eggs)?
I'm more under the impression the mantids were over powered by the adult flies or wasps and the larvae was injected into the mantids when they were small nymphs. Or eggs were laid on the mantids themselves, then hatched and burrowed into them. These are just thoughts of course. :rolleyes: All of this is extreamly interesting. Maybe one of our forum entomologist members can shine some light on the subject! ;)

Don't worry rick! I'll do my best! :) I'm more under the impression the mantids were over powered by the adult flies or wasps and the larvae was injected into the mantids when they were small nymphs. Or eggs were laid on the mantids themselves, then hatched and burrowed into them. These are just thoughts of course. :rolleyes: All of this is extreamly interesting. Maybe one of our forum entomologist members can shine some light on the subject! ;)
Yeah, this is a puzzle isn't it? I read in a site from Brisbane, that tachinid flies are known to parasitize hemimetabolous insects like grasshoppers and stick insects, so I guess that they could do the same to mantids. I don't think that they'd even have to overcome them. I have seen a picture of a bug (hemiptera and also hemimetabolous) with a couple of tachinid eggs on it, so I guess that they only have to perch for a few seconds.

I am going to keep them and see what they turn into. I assume that once they kill the mantis they will pupate since their food source is now gone. The abdomens of these mantids are nearly empty after these things come out. I was hoping somebody will some knowledge on this would chime in. Christian?