Internal parasites

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I am going to add the other one to it once it ecloses.

I think most of the flies around where I live are trying to find a place to overwinter their maggots as one of my mantids was eating a fly captured outside and close to the end of fly err the last piece of fly the mantis dropped there were several real small maggots that dropped to the bottom of the enclosure and these were smaller then a grain of rice and little smaller then a fruit fly!

These parasitic wasps came out of an ooth I collected a couple weeks ago:

IMG_1245.jpg

Hole where one emerged:

IMG_1243.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
kind of like me I am near wooded areas and its just chop full of parasitic flies but have not seen many wasps!

I'm still looking forward to seeing what comes out of that other larger pupa you shared, Rick. I found a very similar, but larger, pupa on the ground in Arizona a few months back. It had that same neck-like breathing tube (if that's what it is?). I saved it, but it's packed in my bug freezer somewhere.

Oh! Flies in the freezer...gotta run...

I'm still looking forward to seeing what comes out of that other larger pupa you shared, Rick. I found a very similar, but larger, pupa on the ground in Arizona a few months back. It had that same neck-like breathing tube (if that's what it is?). I saved it, but it's packed in my bug freezer somewhere.Oh! Flies in the freezer...gotta run...
Ya gotta set a timer Peter! :lol:

Still waiting on that one to emerge.

No worries, :) that ooth probally has over a hundred nymphs in it easy!
Yeah, I was thinking that too. What was on my mind was that will the parasites unknowingly "save" some nymphs so that the species will be able to egg-parasitize the mantids again in the future- basically, not trying to completely eliminate the host progeny. If no mantids hatch, then woah, we have something that can effectively eliminate mantids :( .

Yeah, I was thinking that too. What was on my mind was that will the parasites unknowingly "save" some nymphs so that the species will be able to egg-parasitize the mantids again in the future- basically, not trying to completely eliminate the host progeny. If no mantids hatch, then woah, we have something that can effectively eliminate mantids :( .
That is probably the case. Gotta let some live.

Couple pics of a narrow winged mantis ooth from the field. Seems the wasps hatch out before winter hits. I saw this on these ooths and s. carolina ooths. No evidence of it on the chinese ooths. I wonder if their thick foam prevents the wasps from laying eggs in them? Also, I wonder if that helps explain their ever increasing numbers over the others? Click the pics to enlarge.

DSCF7342.jpg

DSCF7343.jpg