My experience collecting in Hong Kong and Malaysia

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool to see all those species of mantids in one place in the wild.

Without my SLR camera, taking photograph of wild insect can be challenging... here is the typical one

The digital camera sometimes cannot focus on what you wanted to.. especially the close object so the first pic showed blurly damserfly whle the focus was on the background

damserfly1.jpg

putting a white screen behind the subject allowed the camera to refocus on the bug.... the damserfly is quite big and was feeding on a treehopper so less alert

damserfly2.jpg

Holding to the focus and removing the white screen, i took another shot but it was getting dark and the subject is under-expose

damserfly3.jpg

So i switch on the flash and now the subject is over-exposed.

damserfly4.jpg

just some of the problem shooting pic in the wild without SLR camera.... grrr i should have brought mine <_< it could be frustrating sometimes.

Ok move on with more bugs. Sometimes, large insects are difficult to spot in the wild. this katydid is about 3-4 inches but camouflage well on the ground.

grasshopper.jpg

A grasshopper

grasshopper1.jpg

Can you find anything here? (see next pic)

daddylongleg1.jpg

zooming in, Haha... well spot

daddylongleg3.jpg

ekkkkk another huge catepillar

catepillar1.jpg

catepillar2.jpg

Where are all the mantises and oothecae??? j/k

Well, now I know where you went hiking because that sign said the place's name. ;) Looking forward to more updates!

edit: Oops, I guess I should have hit refresh before posting that reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite impressed: so many mantids in just 5 days? And Malaysia wasn't even included yet! Not bad, mate, not bad!

Fast forward to Malaysia. I had a chance to meet up with the legendary Michael Yeh. Possibly one of the very few surviving bug collectors who has been collecting for more than 40 yrs. But he is now mainly collecting only butterfly and some odd tiny bugs. He was kind to let me and my son stayed at his place in Ipoh for couple of day too. THe first place we went was the low land limestone area, i was wondering at first if we could find any bugs at those place......

The limestone hill

limestone1.jpg

limestone2.jpg

limestone3.jpg

As soon as we reached the place, there were butterflies everywhere!!

My son get ready for the hunt

Kenny.jpg

So am I...

Saw.jpg

This is Mr. Yeh

yeh.jpg

Vegetation around the area

surrounding1.jpg

surrounding2.jpg

Me starting to beat the bush with the long stick with butterfly net

me1.jpg

almost instantly I caught a mantis nymph (it is on my finger tip... might need to zoom in to see the mantis)

me2.jpg

Collected some oothecae which might be of the Tropidomantis sp. (two of the oothecae hatched later.... bummer)

OOTH1.jpg

Lady bugs are plenty too

ladybug.jpg

blue metallic color butterfly Michael said only found near limestone moutain.

metallicbutterfly.jpg

Spotted a stick insect

stickinsect1.jpg

zooming in

stickinsect2.jpg

Odontomantis nymph!

antmantis1.jpg

antmantis2.jpg

Checking out more places to hunt.

checkingout2.jpg

checkingout1.jpg

meandyeh.jpg

Mr. Yeh was checking out mainly tree hoppers while i am mainly after mantis. I released all the nymph collected in that area because i don't have the food to support them so it was like the catch and release thing, still lot of fun! I lost some pics from this collecting ground but i should dig up more pics later on.... stay tune.

Damn lost some really nice pics on the collecting trip in Malaysia. Here are some photos that "survived".......

A huge and cool looking katydid

katydid.jpg

Some kind of treehopper Mr. Yeh caught. He managed to sell them all to Europe as dead specimen the next day :blink:

treehopper2.jpg

treehopper3.jpg

Kenneth caught an odd looking thing which looked like a ball of lint, but the insect is pretty active... hard to believe something which appear so artificial could be a living thing. that is sure the most favorite bug for Kenny during this collecting trip!

weirdbug1.jpg

weirdbug2.jpg

We also saw a good size poisonous snake, appear to be some kind of pit viper.

SNAKE2.jpg

Not all snake survive the road

deadsnake.jpg

There are many small mantis species but i couldn't find an adult bummer. I think the collecting method doesn't work for catching one. Another pic of a small nymph collected.

unknown1.jpg

I caught a small fly and fed it to the odontomantis spotted earlier... but let the mantis go later i think it has much better chance surviving in the wild than me keeping it in the container for the next 3 weeks.

antmantis3.jpg

One of the nymph hatched from the wild collected ooth, they look really cool i released some of them and kept only a few. 3 made it to the USA.

hatchednymph.jpg

That's about all for the lowland hunt in Ipoh the rest of my photos got burnt bummer :( Next we went to Cameron highland, Mr. Yeh didn't follow us but suggested the hunting ground at 1000-2000 ft elevation, so Kenneth and I decided to do the hunt and then go on to the peak (about 5000+ ft) for a day or two vacation. Unfortunately, i lost some pics on the CH foothill hunt too......

That lint bug is very interesting. With the first pic I thought you were pulling our legs until I saw the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
That lint bug is very interesting. With the first pic I thought you were pulling our legs until I saw the others.
It sure is Rick, my son was thinking to keep it but i have no idea how to care for them so we let the cool bug go. this bug also has a cool way of escaping, it was kicking out part of its "lint" while running away, which reveals the head and part of abdomen on the other pic.

oh one more cool insect i found on my photo storage... this grasshopper moved like a wasp and look like one too at a distance, very interesting.

wasphopper.jpg

There are many insects at that area which look out of the world. Insects trying to imitate other poisonous or dangerous bugs too. I also spotted a small mantis nymph which look like a stick (could be of Ambivia sp) and so many varitey of butterflies too, shamely those photos didn't survive :( Mr Yeh explained Ipoh is surrounded by mountains of limestone not found in any other places in West Malaysia, and also separated it from outside of Ipoh so the bugs are kind of different.

Looks like you had a good time mate, some very interesting pics. OMG that is 1 mad looking grasshopper :blink:

Very nice pics, Yen! Thank you for sharing them with us! :D Hmmm... I really wonder what that interesting little lint-like bug was! :p I also really liked the white moth with the upturned end of the wings; and that wasp-like grasshopper is GREAT!! :D

Latest posts