My experience collecting in Hong Kong and Malaysia

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all!!

Phil, i think the one you found is something similar to what I saw in Malaysia. This one is much larger than the 3 mm lint bug mentioned on the link though. it was about 1.5 cm, but very similar looking.

So up we went to Cameron Highlands (CH) the following day. I took the new route which is the Simpang pulai way

toCH.jpg

Nice scenary along the way

scenery3.jpg

scenery4.jpg

scenery2.jpg

Vegetation long the route changes from low land grasses to fern as soon as we reached 1000ft elevation

roadside3.jpg

roadside2.jpg

vegetation1.jpg

Every road site vegetation appear to be a good hunting ground afterwards. it was raining lightly in that morning and sun was coming up. just nice! So we parked the car on road side and starting to look around.

roadside1.jpg

I was shocked to see an orchid mantis just sitting on the large leaf. it is so outstanding i wonder how they couldn't be picked up by birds or lizards.

orchid4.jpg

orchid2.jpg

More to come.....

Here is another one taken from far

orchid3.jpg

It may look easy to spot but in the wild it is not as simple as just looking at the pic. When i was singing for my luck thinking i could find another one in minutes, i end up looking for some other bugs instead and couldn't find another until almost the end of the hunt where i did find another adult female orchid which appear to be yellow sitting on another leafy branch but she was old and unfortunately die few days later. The real challenge was really spotting the Deroplatys sp (dead leaf mantis). i am sure there are plenty of them out there as i found quite a few, but i could have gotten more.

Ok here are the remainig pics left from the rest of the CH trip, i must have lost more than 50% of the pics here.

As mentioned, spotting dead leaf isn't easy. especially the D. dessicata.

dd5.jpg

Ah ha, got you...

dd4.jpg

trying to make a run...

dd3.jpg

A large green mantis.... possibly the Hierodula sp.

greenmantis2.jpg

greenmantis1.jpg

Right on the edge of the rock

surrounding1.jpg

As night fall i starting to use my night cap (with lights on) and spotted more mantis

dd6.jpg

dl1.jpg

shield1.jpg

Your pics are AMAZING!!!

Looks like you guys had alot of fun!!!

Can we plan one of this trips????????

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pics are AMAZING!!!Looks like you guys had alot of fun!!!

Can we plan one of this trips????????
Thanks. My son and I had lot of fun there. i am amazed that there are actually very litle mosquitoes that place compare to the lowland, and the slightly cooler temp makes hunting more comfy.

A trip ?!?!? yeah why not! you from Mexico right? i would love to check out mantis in Mexico too. That region must have lot of exotic mantis it is like a mysterious zone waiting for mantis discovery :)

Wow! Are you keeping what you find?
Finders keepers! ;)

So the light around us also attracted some male D. lobata

DSC00973.jpg

Now i hope the Rhombodera sp won't further complicate the hobby (assuming i am lucky to breed another generation) by this finding as i found quite a few of them in a rather small area, all seems to be 2-4 molts from adult.

shield4.jpg

shield2.jpg

shield3.jpg

One of the cool mantis must have landed too close to our light source and got burn... what a waste cos it looks cool!

unknown3.jpg

unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

Got back into the hotel that night and feeding the Dessi with a huge black criket found in the wild

dd2.jpg

dd1.jpg

This orchid just doesn't want to get into the cage

orchid1.jpg

The dead one is called Psychomantis. I know, funny name, but I didn't name it... :D
really!?! :blink: ha! :lol: thank god it is dead or i might get into trouble :D

Oooh, I call dibs on your new nymphs when they hatch. :D No really, for real.
:lol: hmmm...

Sadly, i couldn't find any mantis up in Cameron highland. The tourists have turn this resort highland into a bustling town. i will post some pics on CH on the other thread since there was no mantis found there. We went back to Mr. Yeh's home at Ipoh 2 days later. He brought out a container of dead mantis he collected from the aboriginal villagers. Apparently he has been keeping some dead specimen for me for a few months (i first contacted him by the beginning of the year). i will show some of the pics later if they are still in the photo storage. Stay tune....

-A trip ?!?!? yeah why not! you from Mexico right? i would love to check out mantis in Mexico too. That region must have lot of exotic mantis it is like a mysterious zone waiting for mantis discovery :)

Yep I live an hour south away from Cancun, I dont have a butterfly thingy but Im sure I could find one and then go to some junglish area :p it would be awesome if you guys come or at least visit for some days :D

Latest posts