My mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
subadult male gambian
2338231153_543387a06c_o.jpg
the mantis on the picture looks more like a female:D

Your skills in macrophotograpghy are unbelievable. Not to mention your development of the photos. What kind of photoediting software do you use to clean up the noise and adjust the lighting?

Also,

That orchid nymph is amazing. The eyes are especially interesting. Can you take a pic of its face with the golden eyes? What color environment are you keeping your orchid nymphs in?

Your skills in macrophotograpghy are unbelievable. Not to mention your development of the photos. What kind of photoediting software do you use to clean up the noise and adjust the lighting?Also,

That orchid nymph is amazing. The eyes are especially interesting. Can you take a pic of its face with the golden eyes? What color environment are you keeping your orchid nymphs in?
i dont get noise because i only shoot at iso100-200..sometimes i like to use fill flash to get bit more natural light..so i sometimes use iso 400-800..when i do i use noise where professional l plug in for phototshop cs2 and digital photo professional for my raw files...i upload the raw file to dpp as cs2s raw isnt as good as dpp..i adjust exposure in dpp raw..i then save to jpeg and upload to cs2..i then clone dust marks off the pic..sometimes De-noise..sharpen unsharp mask 100-1-0 then save my final jpeg.

i have 10x 2nd instar orchids housed in a 1ft x 1ft net cage.temps are 80f.i mist every 2 days.i have a room 10f cooledr than my main room..i can make it cooler if i want..so i need to find out which are males a.s.a.p..il put them in the other room them and hopefully the timing will work out..i remember seeing a thread here about how to identify males and females from 1st instar..some guy done some macro shots but i cant find the link..

il start a breeding thread later.rember my flickr account gets updated daily..lots more orchid pics on there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/hooked_on_macro/

adult male

2408421350_5d8c42e821_o.jpg

2nd instar

2404025490_dff5c00f74_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://mantisphotos.com/sexinghymenopus.htm

I still cant tell on my L-4's... You've seen them. They dont have red butts like yours, but rather light green and are so white everywhere else you can make out the detail with my crappy camera. Im fixing to change the color of their environment though so we may see them darken a little with their next molt. It may be too late for me to find out and cool down the maies otherwise.

http://mantisphotos.com/sexinghymenopus.htmI still cant tell on my L-4's... You've seen them. They dont have red bitts like mine, but rather light green and are so white everywhere else you can make out the detail with my crappy camera. Im fixing to change the color of their environment though so we ma see them darken a little with their next molt. It may be too late for me to find out and cool down the maies otherwise.
il take a look at that thread now..thanks for the link :)

DARKSPEED.

Sexing H. coronatus is dead easy. Look at the last photo; it is a male. If yours are at the same instar and have larger white lobes on the legs, then it's a female ;)

i spelt idolomantis wrong..GGrrrr im a retard.

2426695803_679719679c_o.jpg

i spelt idolomantis wrong..GGrrrr im a retard.
LOLZ :lol: :p

Thanks, Rob.

I'll check that out... I showed them to my old college biology professor and she was pretty intrigued by them. She is gonna let me come up to the school sometime and look at them under a disecting scope. If Im not 100% sure by looking at the leg lobes, then I'll probably take them up to the school for a closer examination.

Hi

If you want to be 100% correct, I would make some small letters at the beginning of mendica and formosana ;-)

But a very wonderfull cover you created there. Thanks for sharing. You could definitively make some bucks with selling this breeding stock cover.

Regards

HiIf you want to be 100% correct, I would make some small letters at the beginning of mendica and formosana ;-)

But a very wonderfull cover you created there. Thanks for sharing. You could definitively make some bucks with selling this breeding stock cover.

Regards
1 thing im ###### at is spelling and typing..i was board the last few days..its been raining so i couldn't go out and shoot.i took this shot today..it was up high so i couldnt get real close..mad looking fly tho.

i think its Anomoia purmunda - fruit fly.

2427025393_448ef2ca41_o.jpg

2427838726_9e105a740c_o.jpg

Latest posts