My mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
march the 20th my chinse mantids hatched..I check on them today and most of them are pre sub adult now.so its taken about 43 days to get from 1st instar to pre sub adult.

oh another thing i wanted to say..iv had 12 of them housed together in 2ft x 2ft net cage since they where 4th instar.there pre sub adult now and i still have 12.iv been giving them so much food every day tho so i guess theres no reason why they would eat each other..

pre sub adult acromantis

2468868652_04795de0a7_o.jpg

sub adult male

2473079247_da1073cf81_o.jpg

2473043071_5607cfd693_o.jpg

pre subadult chinese mantis

2473981582_fdb5706236_o.jpg

2473394255_5c02dde2e1_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AMAZING COLLECTION!!!!! Looking at your pics, I'm getting hooked and need a collection like yours!

it took 9 weeks to get them to adult from hatching...amazing how they where in 80f feed every day and i was reading that its possible to get these to adult in 4 weeks?god knows how one would do that?im gueesing having it hotter?its funny also,i have 3 adults in 1ft x 1ft cage and they get on fine.. :lol: there stood next to each other about 1 cm away from each other.i thought that was pretty cool as i hear these are known to eat each other even with lots of food.i havent feed them for 2 days and there still not fighting.. :)

lots to tell u about the last few days..Click to enlarge image

1st off.My female Hymenopus coronatus.In not 100% sure if its L6 or L7(subadult) mayby u guys can tell me?i put her in the dark for few hours to get her eyes red.

Also over last 2 days both my Idolomantis Diabolica shed successful..I was lucky to buy these when they where something like L5 so i havent had any trouble yet..YET :eek:

Female?

A newly shed flowermantis L4 - All the colours of a rainbow

This mantid is quite cute

WOW! How do you get them to cooperate and look straight into the camera? And don't they run away? Or fly away?

A friend who used to keep mantids said that he would cool them in the fridge till they are a little slow to react. I can't get my Tropidomantis tenera nymphs to become "shot-ready". They are hyperactive and all over the place. The only time I managed to slow one down was when it was on my shorts...it was cotton and the fellow nearly got stuck.

WOW! How do you get them to cooperate and look straight into the camera? And don't they run away? Or fly away?A friend who used to keep mantids said that he would cool them in the fridge till they are a little slow to react.
yer i cool them all down in the fridge..lol..im joking..that would be selfish.

pretty easy really with some of the older mantids..The nymphs are hard to shoot..Have you noticed the nymphs i shoot are normally eating fruit flys?thats because while there eating there more likely to sit still.some species like idolos and a few others like ghosts they just sit there and let you shoot them.but others like adult male orchids wont..depends on the species.

What i do is i have a small log about half the thickness of my wrist to put the mantis on..but normally it not as easy as that..sometimes i have to work to get the shot i want.rember if u have the camera set up right you only need a split second to take a good shot and if your persistent and patient your get the shot you want in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts