My new mantid room!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katnapper

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got my new mantid room set up last night! Yaaaaa!! :D I'm exited... can you tell? :p I'd been keeping them in the bathroom for several months, and the situation was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with my family. But now we have our bathroom back. And me and the mantids have our own nice big space, humidity and climate controlled, especially set up for them. ;) :)

Here's the before... in the bathroom:

November2008_106katnapper.jpg

November2008_107katnapper.jpg

November2008_108katnapper.jpg

November2008_109katnapper.jpg

And here's after... in the spare bedroom - aka now as "The Mantid Room"

November2008_129katnapper.jpg

November2008_131katnapper.jpg

November2008_114katnapper.jpg

NIce new set up, the pic of the cages on the toilet is to funny. :p

I hope that was not your only bathroom lol. Question for ya, why so much excelsior in the FF cultures?

I hope that was not your only bathroom lol. Question for ya, why so much excelsior in the FF cultures?
No, Rick... we have 3 other bathrooms in the house. ;) But this one is the only one on the main floor and is used more than any of the others. I did notice my husband and son resorting to the upstairs and finished basement floor bathrooms more when I had all the mantids and feeders in there though (that's a tub of crickets in front of the sink, lol). I'm sure I would never have gotten away with that set up if it was the only one!

Why so much excelsior in the FF cultures? Well......... :eek: because I'm a newbie at making cultures and those 3 on the right, on top of the sink, were my first attempt at making my own? They started off good, but then all died before long. I just kept them in there hoping maybe there was some larva in there that would hatch yet. But I'm pretty sure they're done. I was thinking I had the mixture too dry, and also decided not to add oatmeal the next time. I gather I put too much excelsior in them too.... :rolleyes: What can I say other than "newbie!" :p

I want to thank you... I'm glad you mentioned it, or I might have never known. I've done a lot of intensive research on the net about mantids since last year. But obviously it doesn't teach you everything! I'm doing my homework, but I'll be glad when I get some experience under my belt. And I heavily rely on this forum to help me out along the way! ;)

Oatmeal? You put oatmeal in FF cultures? :mellow:

Oatmeal? You put oatmeal in FF cultures? :mellow:
At least I admit it! :p Yes, I scoured the internet looking for homemade recipes and saw one that included oatmeal. I should have realized it was not a good thing to include when not mentioned by the all of the others I saw. But in my zeal for wanting to include every possible beneficial thing, I added it. Lets just say I've learned from that mistake... now I'm waiting on my order of commercial ff media mix to get here. ;)

At least I admit it! :p Yes, I scoured the internet looking for homemade recipes and saw one that included oatmeal. I should have realized it was not a good thing to include when not mentioned by the all of the others I saw. But in my zeal for wanting to include every possible beneficial thing, I added it. Lets just say I've learned from that mistake... now I'm waiting on my order of commercial ff media mix to get here. ;)
You made the right choice in ordering that. New room is much better.

I started my collection in a closet below the stair and move it up to the a room eventually when the collection exploded. It is great to have all the space now yeah Katnapper :) Much better than finding room in the bathroom feeding all those hungry mouth, and yes i have experienced the closet i kept my mantis was smaller than your bathroom ;)

hahahahahah!!!! The bathroom pics are too funny!! :lol: :lol: You should see my "bug room" where my brother and I sleep. It looks like a plane wreck. :ph34r:

(partly due to being a bit untidy and have hardly any room at all) That will be fixed when its time to move out of the house. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: it's a disease I tell you, one little mantis, one hope of saving mankind, they are all related, before you know it, mankind can fend for theirselves and the ones left in the house better stay out of the way of the process or find them selves on a plate for mantis dinner :p

:lol: it's a disease I tell you, one little mantis, one hope of saving mankind, they are all related, before you know it, mankind can fend for theirselves and the ones left in the house better stay out of the way of the process or find them selves on a plate for mantis dinner :p
:eek: Omg, Rebecca, you described it perfectly.... ;) too funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It is rather like a disease, once you catch it. :rolleyes:

AHAHA if would do that my sis would cr@p before she even reached the toilet XD
LOL I would love to have mine in the bathroom JUST for that reason! (but with my wife) Too bad my bathroom is just too cold. I believe I will be keeping mine in my living room.

Wow!! I'd been too afraid of my nephew taking one of his toxic crapolas in the john and murdering all the babies at once!!! that kid...anyway, all of mine are currently in the living room not too many choices until we get the house squared away!! But, for now it's the living room with all the little cups and odd tanks I found online and such!!!

Now they're not going to get as much care since you don't have to sit and stare at them as much. ;)

Latest posts