Mystymantis mantises

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A picture of the little ones on hatching day! About 25 or so hatched out!

DSCN2566 Edit.jpg

DSCN2586 Edit.jpg

Awesome, glad to see the hatch! Are you planning on getting rid of any? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much! Now is the really hard part of keeping the little ones alive. 🙄 They are quite fragile at this stage...

Unfortunately due to the mail being slower then normal and Covid and all I will not be selling or trading any at this point. Not to mention it is getting quite cold outside and not the best time to ship little nymphs. Thanks for the interest though! I really appreciate it! Sorry to disappoint you all!

Update time!

Glint laid her first Ootheca a little while ago. Now waiting for it to hatch. Yum, yum roaches are good says Glint eating her dinner.

I am super excited, Venus, my female ghost mantis is a beautiful green color! I really hope she stays green! Though the green is slightly fading to a lighter green.

View attachment 13751

View attachment 13752

View attachment 13753
Great pictures Mystymantis!  I am curious.  Did you mate Glint with one of her two siblings?  

-Nathaniel Long

Great pictures Mystymantis!  I am curious.  Did you mate Glint with one of her two siblings?  

-Nathaniel Long
Yes I did mate her with her siblings. Why do you ask? I know repeated mating with the same stock is not the best for genetics and such.  Don't many mantis breeders just breed with their own stock or do they bring in new ones for better genes?

Yes I did mate her with her siblings. Why do you ask? I know repeated mating with the same stock is not the best for genetics and such.  Don't many mantis breeders just breed with their own stock or do they bring in new ones for better genes?
It depends on the species. From what I understand, there are some species that are extremely sensitive to inbreeding (I think Stenophylla sp.?). I do think most try to bring in other bloodlines when possible. I only work with native species (pesky USDA), but I try to cross different lines when possible. I do have a lubber grasshopper colony that is currently all from the breeding of a group of siblings in the prior, F1 generation. I am planning to cross them with wild individuals this summer, and I would do the same with mantids in this situation. 

Hello, Mystymantis.  I was asking because I didn't know whether mantises could be inbred without problems.  I am happy to find out that mantises can at least inbreed a certain amount.  It might be that insects do better than mammals do when inbred.  Thank you for the information Mystymantis and The Mantis Menagerie!

Sincerely, Nathaniel Long

Update time! Been a while!

My next generation of Grizzled mantises has made it to adulthood! My little ninja mantises!

And Venus my green Ghost mantis has had a ton of babies!

Here is Venus doing happy and healthy she is over 14 months old! And has blessed me with way too many babies haha!

DSCN7514 EDIT.jpg

And here is my Grizzled female mantis that just molted to adulthood.

DSCN7480 EDIT.jpg

Here are Venus's babies. A cool variety of colors on the females, I have several green ones, dark brown ones and yellowish ones. The different colors are so cool!

DSCN7455 EDIT.jpg

DSCN7462 EDIT.jpg

L1 Ghost mantis nymphs.

DSCN7445 EDIT.jpg

DSCN7499 EDIT.jpg

L3 Ghost mantis nymphs.

DSCN7475 EDIT.jpg

L5 Ghost mantis female.

IMG_9958 EDIT.jpg

The first Ghost nymphs have reached adulthood! Callalily is a pretty pale green color with tan/gold wings. And Marigold is aptly named because she is practically golden. She molted to L7 the other day.  Marigold was not thrilled I was disturbing her to get pictures.

And far too many more Ghost nymphs still to care for! 😂😭😭 I have so many ghosts thanks to Venus its not even funny! At least though she is gone, sadness, she left a big legacy! She had 15 egg cases and two are yet to hatch!

DSCN7751 EDIT.jpg

DSCN7767 EDIT.jpg

The first Ghost nymphs have reached adulthood! Callalily is a pretty pale green color with tan/gold wings. And Marigold is aptly named because she is practically golden. She molted to L7 the other day.  Marigold was not thrilled I was disturbing her to get pictures.

And far too many more Ghost nymphs still to care for! 😂😭😭 I have so many ghosts thanks to Venus its not even funny! At least though she is gone, sadness, she left a big legacy! She had 15 egg cases and two are yet to hatch!

View attachment 14336

View attachment 14337
You’re females are growing way faster than mine!! My males are popping to L7 and I still have an L4 female.