Parymenopus davisoni

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to be rich! :)
Yup! Now i can take that cruise to Alaska. :lol:

AWESOME!!!!! I can only hope I have 1/2 the success you do with mine! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm positive you will. These guys are really not difficult to raise. I personally think getting viable ooths will prove more of a challenge?

Well, all i can do is offer a diverse array of nutritious foods, and hope to breed all females with at least 2 males. Got silkworms pupating so I can offer egg laden moths to pregnant females in hopes of boosting ooth viability and fecundity. I'm hoping to also get some more from the EU so I can have unrelated stock to breed with

They're cool little guys for sure, I've been feeding my L4-L5's a mix of turkish glider ff's(large) and bb's, alternating every few days, they eat 80-90% of the bb fly normally, and we're talking they're only the size of a L1-2 Idolo nymph at best, and still not one death out of the whole group. Paul's seem to be genetically sound, vibrant, and very healthy!

Thanks again man!!!

well I have to say my only davisoni is doing very well and is like l5 I think as its a yellow color now and was greenish before it molted and been giving it flies and it eats like 3-4 flies daily like yesterday it took out 4 flies that were little smaller then it was and the same today and once I got the right technique on raising it then it became a sinch and I think I mastered it now and its on my top of my favorite list if not the number one on my list alongside othoderas and gambian spotted eyes and few others!

I will prob message you ismart once it hits sub adult of course so I can get its mate and work on my own collection in due time of course I have to make sure mine makes it up to sub adult / adult first which should not be hard!

well most orchid videos of matings I seen has the male drumming on the females but may not happen with this species but just was wondering!

Parymenopus arent in the same Genus as Hymenopus, so you should expect that there will be differences in breeding, ootheca shape, etc etc.

Have you determined a good way to sex younger nymphs yet?

OK well here's my low down if anyone is interested?

All 11 yellows that Paul sent me are still alive and thriving, in fact 5 of the 11 are now adult males??? Thats a record time for me to see adults, I'm guessing they're about 50-55 days old total from hatching!? Had a clue they were male a while back but no clue they were ready to turn adult, they're "SO FREAK'N TINY", I mean I'm almost afraid to take them out and hold them due to their size, so sexing was more difficult than I'm used to.

So I'm keeping the males a little cooler while waiting for the females and there extra molt I'm only guessing they have?

But with this many males so far I'm confident about the future agenda, I would always want more males than females if given the choice especially with a species that very much views the male as a snack?

Oh yeah, one of the best way to tell gender is that females are much wider/fat in their abdomen, well plus just bigger in general. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys grow crazy fast! I have about 4 adult males as well. A few of my females are not far behind. I now realize why i was having such a hard time sexing them. About 75% of them are males! :blink:

After finally having enough time to sit and really look at all my nymphs L3 and up. I was able to sex most of them. Would anyone like to take a guess as to how many females i have out of 20 nymphs from my first ooth?