Pseudocreobotra ocellata breeding diary

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres 1 shedding to L5

2290503787_e60fe7279f_o.jpg

Great picture ;)

I used to buy 4 of each species and usually I was lucky ;) - Now I have 4 O.distinctus - and I have 2 males and 2 females ;) . Bought them at L2 ;)

my female is infertile..i mated her 4 times and her 1st ooth was 2 nymphs her 2nd ooth was 1 nympth and the rest of her ooths haven't hatched..but shes a good subject.

2308187800_d7e94875e9_o.jpg

Maybe you mated her too much.If they're mated too much, they reject sperm, even from previous matings.
nope..because i only mated her once at the start,..then she laid an ooth..then i didnt mate her again untill she laid the 2nd ooth.so it wasnt that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that MJ, i haven't had that problem fortunately. P. ocellata been hatching out like mad for me with only single mating. I hope you didn't mate PO vs PW! just kidding i am sure you can tell the difference by now :) However, i remember one of my previous P. wahlbergii just failed to produce fertile ooth with multiple matings while other breed just fine with just single mating. Only God knows what's wrong :unsure:

my female is infertile..i mated her 4 times and her 1st ooth was 2 nymphs her 2nd ooth was 1 nympth and the rest of her ooths haven't hatched..but shes a good subject.
She is producing fertile ootheca if even only one nymph hatched! ;)

It is more than likely the way you were keeping the ootheca; was this one that got 'had' by the mould ?

She is producing fertile ootheca if even only one nymph hatched! ;) It is more than likely the way you were keeping the ootheca; was this one that got 'had' by the mould ?
no its not rob..i kepted the ooth the same as an ooth i bought from ian.in the same container!.ians hatched over 80- nympths..im going to breed walbergie.not because i failed on these..just because i prefer them.waiting on email from lars to get 2 pairs of sub adults from him.im going to sell all my flowermantis nympths in the next week.

i only just came across this whole thread, but just wanted to say its really great, more people should do this. i know not everyone has an expensive camera to take pics like these but even just the data and observations are very useful for anyone with the same species in the future.

i only just came across this whole thread, but just wanted to say its really great, more people should do this. i know not everyone has an expensive camera to take pics like these but even just the data and observations are very useful for anyone with the same species in the future.
yer im doing it with a few speices im trying to breed.good to have the info stored.. :)

Well, with my wonderfull luck I ended up with three males... I think they are sub sub at the moment. One is much whiter than the other two... you can hardly even see the Q on its wing buds... but six spikes all around. :angry:

The white one...

P3181757.jpg

One of the "greener ones"...

P3181751.jpg

Now I gotta source a female of the same age range.... and quick too.

Well thanks to miss Mantida I now have a female P.O.... She molted to sub subadult today.

She has a ways yet to go to catch up with her subadult boys. They are currently in sloe mode, and Im feeding her as much as she can eat... Hopefully she will make it in time.

P4021860.jpg

P4021862.jpg

P4021864.jpg

One male molted to adult two weeks ago. The female was kept nice and warm and fed 3 times as much as the rest of the bunch, and as a result molted to adult yesterday. Now I have 3 sub males still waiting to get their wings. Do P.O.s live as long as P.W.s, and if so should I plan to try and mate her with all 4 males or does it make a difference since they are from the same clutch anyway?

yer the males live for ages..:)your be fine.put it this way

i had a adult male when i had 4th instar nymph..by the time the 4th instar got to adult the adult male was still healthy and ready to mate.. :) as the chinese would say "They live long time" LOL

I managed to catch one of my other males in the middle of molting to adult as can be seen in these photos...

P5312271.jpg

P5312272.jpg

P5312273.jpg

P5312274.jpg

P5312276.jpg

Drying his wings...

P5312278.jpg

Successful molt:

P5312277.jpg

One of the other subadult males died during his molt process apparently from falling. Now I am down to 3 Males to be mated with the single female. She has been an adult for 10 days now. Do you guys think she is ready to mate yet, or should I wait a bit longer?

When i mate them i make sure the male and female are adult for a min of 14 days..some dont show interest till week 3 or 4 but this time my walbergiis where mated at day 14.Some would say its best to wait min of 3 weeks..im just impatient,

Another of my adult males died yesterday from sudden mantis death syndrome... so fo fear that my luck is running out I went ahead and introduced the other adult male to her today. he jumped right on and has been riding around on her for about an hour now, but no real action. How long do the little guys ride before they actually do the deed?