Sally's mantis thread start 05/13

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 New B mendica hatch!! 1st one has only 4, second one over 30 so far!! The creos are getting big now...

No ooths yet from T elegans or Orchids. Sweeny is so cute and getting so old. The B mendica female ate her sub adult sister... She is mating again now :)

lol just seen your mating H.coronatus AND T.elegans!

what a great achievement as both those species have major sexual dimorphisms and breeding is the toughest part of keeping those two species. hope your proud, and they lay many ooths, make sure you incubate those properly!

lol just seen your mating H.coronatus AND T.elegans!

what a great achievement as both those species have major sexual dimorphisms and breeding is the toughest part of keeping those two species. hope your proud, and they lay many ooths, make sure you incubate those properly!
Thank you! I am waiting for the ooths to be laid... The girls are fussy and I am trying to make the environment correct so they will lay :)

Auugust 25, 2013 The first of the D lobatas molted to adult. It is a male, but he thinks he is pretending to be a stick of course,lol My mated Orchid laid her 1st ooth :D

Sally: I will also be mating Orchids soon. I have a few questions regarding your recent experience with this issue. How long did your Orchids stay coupled in the mating process? Did the female attempt to decapitate the male? Did you keep them otherwise in separate rooms? Did it take an increase in temperature to finally get them to go for it?

Thanks,

Rich

Sally: I will also be mating Orchids soon. I have a few questions regarding your recent experience with this issue. How long did your Orchids stay coupled in the mating process? Did the female attempt to decapitate the male? Did you keep them otherwise in separate rooms? Did it take an increase in temperature to finally get them to go for it?

Thanks,

Rich
My first attempt in Feb. was with Alice and Frankenweenie. He jumped right on and they connected for many hours. I could not get her to lay. She became eggbound and died :( I sent FW to NY. This time My male jumped on and was only connected for 45 mins. When I tried again they remained connected for 5 or so hours. She laid her ooth :) now to see if it hatches. I am trying to get her sister to mate, no dice. She is calling and very gravid but he is not interested. I do keep him in another room. I am trying again today. I Used high humidity (75 %) and temps about 80 to 85 F for the mating. I always use the fan with the wind blowing on them. When I was trying to get her to lay, she was acting fussy, I used soil, and put real foliage in her container. I am new to this too, so hopefully we can see what is effective :) Oh, and I upped the humidity a little to get her to lay....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sally: Thanks alot for sharing your experiences with this amazing species. If it were really easy and there were oothecae hatching left and right, it would take away some of the challenge and everyone would be an Orchid breeder. The oothecae would sell for $20 and there would cease to be the wonder about the species. In my humble opinion. the beauty of the species is not when they are adults, but when they are in the middle stages of development and up to the adult state. I will be experiencing the mating process soon. I had experiences this several years ago, when I was in the hobby the first time. I did get matings and did get ooth production, but without a hatch. This time with some more tools available and the help such as you are sharing, hopefully there will be hatching oothecae.

Thanks again,

Rich Sekerman in SoCal

*/29/2013. Tried to mate my 2nd Orchid girl again. My male is just not interested in her at all.....I took Snow white outside where she enjoyed some bees. Sweeny received a soft, handmade mantid blanket from Sticky :)

9/3/2013 Rhombodera stalli "Sweeny" died today :( He was a beautiful golden nymph that became a pale green when he was an adult. My male Orchid Frankenweenie2 gave his life to the greater good yesterday, now I am hoping the ootheca hatches so his offspring may live on. The T sinensis girls are loving outside... Here is hoping they attract a mate :) I received beautiful new Rhombodera cf valida nymphs last week. Polyspilota female laid her first ooth. The deadleaf girls are now sub adult. Waiting on the H bipapilla female to molt to adult. More Stagmo cali ooths laid. Ghost female is waiting patiently for her man to grow up,lol. T elegans needs to lay another ootheca she is really gravid. And then there is the B mendicas,lol. They mated yet again... and she is still laying ooths, wow very prolific momma :) cicada treat... Poor Frankenweenie2.... The Creos and Taus are growing fast too :)

Latest posts