Sarah K's Collection Thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems to be the plus side to breeding species that are native! :) I think our apartment complex would have something to say though if they saw me releasing tons of baby mantids everywhere.  :p

That seems to be the plus side to breeding species that are native! :) I think our apartment complex would have something to say though if they saw me releasing tons of baby mantids everywhere.  :p
Yeah it is true.....Just make sure no one is looking when you release your mantids! LOL 

8/8/16 Update: Sorry this is late, but Gypsy laid her first ooth on 8/8! Looks like a nice-sized one, can't wait to see how many babies hatch!

My Heterochaeta......

Here is my pride and joy, my oldest Heterochaeta (Not exactly sure about the gender yet, but I think she is a girl) She is about L4 in this picture. I have acquired a group of these and I am very much looking forward to breeding them in the future! So far they are pretty awesome! I especially love their stance with their arms out, and those big beautiful eyes!

View attachment 8100

8/24/16: Wandering Violin Update: Well, both of my older girls have passed now. RIP girls, I will miss you!  :(  They left me a total of 21 ooths between the two of them! They have been laying them since April, but not a single one has hatched yet. 

Now I am left with 3 of the original 7 who made it to adulthood (the two youngest of my boys, and only my one youngest girl). Her wings and one of her legs were damaged during her final molt, and she has not been doing as well in the ooth-laying department (So far she has laid 2 very small specs of foam....not really sure if there are even any eggs in them!). It also seems the boys don't understand how to properly mate with her with those damaged wings. I have noticed them mount her a few times, but they are usually not even close to where they need to be to get the job done, then they seem to get frustrated soon thereafter, and just jump off! 

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear about your violin girls! Hopefully some of your ooths from them will hatch.  :)

Great looking Heterochaeta, looks like she has a boxing stance ready to rumble. :)

Best of luck with your Violins, they are a difficult species; however, with you being able to raise them to breeding age you should be able to get it done if it's possible. ;)

Great looking Heterochaeta, looks like she has a boxing stance ready to rumble. :)

Best of luck with your Violins, they are a difficult species; however, with you being able to raise them to breeding age you should be able to get it done if it's possible. ;)
Thanks on the Heterochaeta! She has already molted again! And is soooo much bigger! I am really enjoying watching her grow. I had to move here and 4 others to a larger new cage this weekend, I cannot get over how big this species really is. 

Thanks on the Violins. Even if they don't make me babies, they have lived a good life, and I have enjoyed them for sure. :)

9/16/16 Update: Moral of the day....Remating female mantises is tricky. :(  

Currently, I have 3 mated female ghosts that are laying, and 1 mated Carolina (Gypsy) that is laying. All have laid 4 to 5 ooths now, so I decided it was time to try remating everyone. Unfortunately, I ended up with 2 dead males. Sad story. Previously, I have only mated females while they were calling, and this is the first time I've ever lost any males in the process. RIP Boys. :(

View attachment 8236

View attachment 8237

Good luck Sarah... I just got 5 L2 Violins, now L3's....

No issues with keep communally?

I'm thinking of separating @L4 like ghosts by sex, then reintroducing once adults. 

Keeping them in a 12x12 net cube.

Good luck Sarah... I just got 5 L2 Violins, now L3's....

No issues with keep communally?

I'm thinking of separating @L4 like ghosts by sex, then reintroducing once adults. 

Keeping them in a 12x12 net cube.
Awesome! Enjoy the Violins...they are definitely one of my favorites.....never had a single issue with keeping violins communally....they never once tried to eat each other or anything. But yeah, I think separating them by sex than reintroducing when everyone is ready to mate is the best way to go about it. My boys seemed to get too used to the girls without the separation period, and wouldn't act unless they were separated first, than reintroduced.

Too bad about your males, do you have any left? I had one myself recently with a wild caught female that had a male partner when I found them - after they separated I only found his wings and abdomen. :(

Hopefully you can try breeding them again.

Too bad about your males, do you have any left? I had one myself recently with a wild caught female that had a male partner when I found them - after they separated I only found his wings and abdomen. :(

Hopefully you can try breeding them again.
I do have 2 more male ghosts (1 adult, 1 sub-adult), and 1 Carolina male left, but after this experience, I am wondering how necessary it is to remate them at all, I mean especially if the girls are gonna be so difficult about it? :angry:   I really don't want to sentence my remaining males to certain death! LOL. Plus, I did witness the male Carolina make a connection before Gypsy decided to eat his head off!

9/17/16 Update: As far as the ghosts are concerned, I had good news come on Sunday morning and this morning, and 2 of my ghosts ooths hatched! :D  Each ooth was laid by a different female, so at least two of my girls are fertile. Interestingly, both ooths hatched in exactly 37 days, and were incubated between 75 and 77 degrees F. 

There is still one other ghost girl I have that has laid 4 or 5 ooths already,  and my last and youngest ghost girl finally laid her first ooth yesterday (it was a pretty big one too!) I was so happy to see her finally laying, as I was starting to worry that she was egg bound. But now that she has started laying, it means I potentially have 4 mated ghost girls laying!

geez......looks like I have a lot of ghost nymphs in my future!

Sorry about your males! Still, exciting that you have so many ooths. :)
Thanks Ashlee! Like I said above, maybe remating is not necessary after all, with all the potentially fertile ooths I already have!

That's awesome! How many little ghost nymphs would you estimate you have right now?  :wub:

Latest posts